Begginner Question

lrojas

Re: Begginner Question

Ahhhh... i Thought you had to rebuild the reserve of the frame work to add powers to it...

ok, makes more sense this way... Maybe i am trying to hard to see things in a D&D light. i was thinking in a mechanic to have the spell be scrolls that you could either cast directly or inscrive in your spell book and that you could pay money for them or found in Dragin Hoards. but i guess i am being too D&D centric.. maybe is time to begin trying to seee how the rest of the world looks at magic...

still, there is the point of dealing with weapons that use ammo, like pistols or arrows... i know you can buy the weapon as having charges but in the case of a pistol, how do you define the reload clip for the weapon? or in the case of arrows how do you define that the quiver is empty.

Several things all at once there.

a) the Wizardry system on my website is a pretty close match to D&D Wizards.

B) Charges normally recharge once daily, whether they are arrows or bullets or a batter charge, or whatever. If they dont, you can put a sub limitation on the Charges.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charges being rechargable act like clips, or arrows. After each combat you get them back. This is for an endless ammo world.

For a non-endless ammo world, put in a lim on the Charges, only recovers when x$ paid for ammo (+1/4) ... (lim on a lim is double negative, so positive?) ... also, for clips, step down one lim level and double the clips. For example (Sidekick, 68): "Normally a character who has 8 Charges gets a -1/2 value for the Limitation. If he reduces the value one step down the table (to -1/4), he can have two clips, each with 8 Charges".

Laz

Charges being rechargable act like clips, or arrows. After each combat you get them back. This is for an endless ammo world.

For a non-endless ammo world, put in a lim on the Charges, only recovers when x$ paid for ammo (+1/4) ... (lim on a lim is double negative, so positive?) ... also, for clips, step down one lim level and double the clips. For example (Sidekick, 68): "Normally a character who has 8 Charges gets a -1/2 value for the Limitation. If he reduces the value one step down the table (to -1/4), he can have two clips, each with 8 Charges".

Laz

Actually you get your Charges back per day typically, not per combat.

i saw a review on RPG.net for star hero, and one point the reviewer made was that in he liked the fact that in Space Hero all characters where done with 75+75, but in Fantasy Hero all where 75+75 except the wizard. Does that mean that the wizards have a clear advantage over other type of characters in Fantasy Hero?

It depends, on how you want wizards. If they are powerful and all others fear them, then you will probably allow them to take Power Pools, or give them point breaks on their spells, or allow them to start of W/more points. Or if you want magic to be rare and hard, and not, intitially atleast, as power as a man and a sword, then you will make them pay full price for every speel and allow no powerpools.

In actuallity spell slingers ussually start W/the same points as everyone else, it's how they are allowed to spend those points that makes the difference.

i saw a review on RPG.net for star hero' date=' and one point the reviewer made was that in he liked the fact that in Space Hero all characters where done with 75+75, but in Fantasy Hero all where 75+75 except the wizard. Does that mean that the wizards have a clear advantage over other type of characters in Fantasy Hero?[/quote']

Well for starters any of the characters in any of the genre's start at whatever combination of base points and max disads you want them to as the GM.

For seconders, no "Wizards" (and that's just a label in the HERO System anyway), dont per se start with any more points than any other type of character.

What the person may have been referring to is that in the default Fantasy Setting of the Turakian Age, Wizards pay the Real Cost/3 for their Spells.

This isnt exactly the same thing as them getting three times as many points however. For starters any one of the three Power Frameworks grant a discount of sorts (though none as large as a straight divide by three), so the difference of the Turakian Age divisor method isnt as drastic as a flat x3 benefit. For seconders, a spell caster likely does not spend all of their points on Spells.

gotcha! Killer.

btw, i was reading your wizardry system and i have a question, there is no way a wizard can start with the ability to use powerfull spells ( basing this on the default 75+75 split ), so, lest say that he makes a VPP that he can afford, and after a while he gets enough xp to increase its VPP, how would he do that? dumb question but i cant seem to figure out the right way to do it.

gotcha! Killer.

btw, i was reading your wizardry system and i have a question, there is no way a wizard can start with the ability to use powerfull spells ( basing this on the default 75+75 split ), so, lest say that he makes a VPP that he can afford, and after a while he gets enough xp to increase its VPP, how would he do that? dumb question but i cant seem to figure out the right way to do it.

Just buy more points of VPP. Each 15 Pool in the VPP costs a Wizard 17.5 Character Points due to the Control Cost of the Wizard VPP.

So take the sample Wizard Yortheon Malafrid (link at top of doc) as an example. When Yortheon has 17.5 xp to spend on Magic, his Pool grows from 75 Pool to 90 Pool, allowing him to learn & prepare Spells with up to 90 Active Points. He still has to acquire and learn Spells to his known Spell List as detailed within the document.

bummer, you are right, i was the one that got the quote wrong:

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that worked…A complex system designed from scratch never works and cannot be patched up to make it work. You have to start over with a working simple system.

-John Gall, from "Systemantics: How Systems Really Work and How They Fail"