The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Speaking of religious intonations, has everyone heard about 616 vs 666? Is there an NGD thread already (there must be)?

(I've found this in other media outlets, so if it's a hoax the media is taken in, but it's not a joke article)

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=634679

Revelation! 666 is not the number of the beast (it's a devilish 616)

By Tom Anderson

01 May 2005

A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

The new fragment from the Book of Revelation, written in ancient Greek and dating from the late third century, is part of a hoard of previously unintelligible manuscripts discovered in historic dumps outside Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. Now a team of expert classicists, using new photographic techniques, are finally deciphering the original writing.

Professor David Parker, Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism and Paleography at the University of Birmingham, thinks that 616, although less memorable than 666, is the original. He said: "This is an example of gematria, where numbers are based on the numerical values of letters in people's names. Early Christians would use numbers to hide the identity of people who they were attacking: 616 refers to the Emperor Caligula."

The Book of Revelation is traditionally considered to be written by John, a disciple of Jesus; it identifies 666 as the mark of the Antichrist. In America, the fundamentalist Christian right often use the number in sermons about the coming Apocalypse.

They and satanists responded coolly to the new "Revelation". Peter Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan, based in New York, said: "By using 666 we're using something that the Christians fear. Mind you, if they do switch to 616 being the number of the beast then we'll start using that."

Jeez. How many posts per page do you need for THAT?

Or is that just how far you've gotten in some book?

50 posts a page.

And I've read the entire Silmarillion. I haven't been able to read any government document though.

50 posts a page.

And I've read the entire Silmarillion. I haven't been able to read any government document though.

Well, who COULD? Eck.

I've heard the Silmarillion really isn't as bad as people say, it's just drier than any of the other books about Middle Earth.

All I know about it is that, had I read it, this fanfic I'd read about lambasting Mary Sues would've been a lot funnier.

The Silmarillion suffers from being multiple storys thrown together, many not complete. JRR never finished these stories, he was continually polishing them. It was put together and published by his son.