hero vs rolemaster

steph

Re: hero vs rolemaster

I played a lot of WHFRP and have all of the stuff with optional rules and what not. It is a very fun game that captures a very specific feel. Combat is a lot of fun, but largely spectator in nature as well. Open-ended damage is a lot of fun, but every combat is a crap shoot modified by your skill. It plays very fast and has a lot of flavor. However, if someone were seriously jonesin' to play it, I'd suggest running the setting in Savage Worlds.

Savage Worlds is a great game. It offers an amazing amount of character depth and development for such a rules light system. It offers more control in combat than many more complex games do not, while remaining as their tagline says "fast, furious, and fun". Their supers setting comes out in a couple weeks (straight from Shane Hensley at GenCon) and I played in their supers demo. It isn't Champs by any stretch, but for the crowd that enjoys HeroClix and is looking for a LOT more depth and a much more satisfying RP experience, it is a great solution. Will it replace my regular game? No, but I would rather play it than most other RPGs.

I will second the assessment of RuneQuest. RQ uses the basic roleplay system of Chaosium. This system is fine for non-combat situations, and handles some skill things very well. However, combat is repetitive, not all that exciting, and somewhat dull if not deadly. I think that is one of the reasons the old RQ is gone and Heroquest, a much more storytelling style game.

For me, Hero, GURPS, and SavageWorlds handle all the different styles of play I enjoy. Hero for epic, cinematic action, GURPS for extreme realism with the option for elements of the cinematic (which isn't to say the fantastic is not well supported by the system - Magic works wonderfully), and SW for fast, easy, rules-light play (perfect for Cthulhian horror where everyone can die in no time).

That said, I play more Hero than anything because I enjoy depth of rules, controllability of action, and the epic survivability the system affords, not to mention the level of consistency and flexibility within the system to handle nearly any situation.