Why is there no Temperature level 0?

arcady

As part of the armor debate in the Fantasy Hero rules I started looking at the environement rules, and caught the note on page 297 about temperature level 0.

By the book, you're always losing REC and END no matter what the temperature, because there is no temperature level 0.

So I figured that had to be fixed in the errata somewhere.

It wasn't, but in the FAQ I found this:

http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/rules/THE%20ENVIRONMENT.htm

Q: According to 5E 297, no “Temperature Level 0†exists. But if, as the rules indicate, characters lose Long Term Endurance at any Temperature Level, is there no way for them to reach a state of “equilibrium†where the temperature doesn’t affect them at all?

A: Temperature Levels -1 and 1 act as “equilibrium levels†at which characters don’t lose REC and END due to temperature. Eliminate the REC and END modifiers for those Temperature Levels, but leave the modifiers for other levels intact.

The range of Temperature Levels -1 and 1 depends primarily on the species of the character. For a human, 1 is probably about 66-80 degrees Fahrenheit, and -1 is 51-65 degrees Fahrenheit. For a reptilian species from a desert planet, these Temperature Levels might be 111-140 degrees Fahrenheit instead.

Q: According to 5E 297, no “Temperature Level 0†exists. So, if the Temperature Level is at 2, and a character somehow creates a -2 Temperature Level shift, what is the new Temperature Level?

A: It is -1.

This seems like a very funky change.

Why not just say 'Oh, yeah, there is a temperature 0 after all, it's whatever is normal.'

Re: Why is there no Temperature level 0?

Why not just say 'Oh' date=' yeah, there is a temperature 0 after all, it's whatever is normal.'[/quote'] This does seem to be the prevailing attitude among the players here; it makes for much less confusing math.

The addition of a Temperature Level 0 is the only universally-requested (AFAICT) change for 5ER. Whether said change actually takes place is, of course, up to Steve... and he hasn't said anything about it as yet.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. I complain about it often, perhaps to the point of annoying other readers of these boards. I can only assume that Steve Long was under the effect of an INT Drain when he wrote that. And another INT Drain when he further compounded the problem in the FAQ.

In my games, there IS a temperature level zero. Zero is not a particularly advanced mathematical concept. For all the calculations HERO gamers have to do to play and construct characters, you'd think dealing with 0 would be no problem at all. Even the ancient Aztecs understood zero, they figured it out even before they figured out that human sacrifice was a bad idea.

In my games, there is also a Temperature Level Zorro - which is the perfect temperature to dress all in black with a broad hat, flowing cape, and a mask. Anyone not so dressed suffers a penalty to PRE.

Not only is zero not an advanced concept, but trying to do math -WITHOUT- it is just confusing...

Looking at that FAQ, when they subtracted 2 from 2 to get -1, I just had to stop and reboot my brain for a second - cause I got stuck in a system crash over trying to get that to flow smoothly in my head...

:joint:

There has to be a temperature level zero--the temperature level system is CLEARLY designed with the assumption that a level zero (known as "just right") exists. Why it was removed, and its existence denied, is beyond me, but temperature level zero definitely exists in my games.

Don't stress about it. Make the obvious correction and move on.

Zeropoint

Not only is zero not an advanced concept, but trying to do math -WITHOUT- it is just confusing...

Looking at that FAQ, when they subtracted 2 from 2 to get -1, I just had to stop and reboot my brain for a second - cause I got stuck in a system crash over trying to get that to flow smoothly in my head...

Honestly, Zero ranks with Fire and the Wheel in terms of significant inventions.

I'm dead serious.

Zeropoint

Honestly, Zero ranks with Fire and the Wheel in terms of significant inventions.

I'm dead serious.

Zeropoint

Which is sort of there point. Zero is as fundamental and as basic to our society as the wheel and fire.