OIHID/Focus; better way to do this?

Mad Dog Mike

I'm trying to work up a character whose main powers only kick in when he's in hero form (which he has certain disadvantages for changing to so to be worth an OIHID (it gives off a fairly noticable light among other things)). Thing is, some of his powers also rely on certain objects, which are basically normal items until he transforms, and can be removed as appropriate in either hero or secret ID (i.e. a hand-held object is still hand-held in hero ID). I realize the book says you shouldn't have OIHID and any of the Focus Limitations on the same power, but I'm not sure how to reflect the "can be taken away from character" and "only useful when transformed" bits without applying both. Is there another way to do this that doesn't tread as close to rules violation, or have I actually come up with a legitimate reason to use both Limitations?

You might try adding restrainable to the item powers.

If they would be OAF, then call them restrainable -3/4

If they would be OIF, then call them restrainable -1/4

If they would be IIF, then they don't need any more limitations.

You have the same total limitation this way, unlike just adding Focus limitations on top of OIHID

OHID and Foci

On RARE occasions I've allowed a player to have both OHID and Focus on a given Power. They have to really sell me on the character concept and I make sure they understand the risks with Foci. They can be taken away, damaged, used against the character if he doesn't have Personal Immunity, etc. I discourage the use of Lims just to get the cost down, it should have a concept explaination. That said, I wish they take more Lims and not try to be so Uber-powerful/infallible.

:)

I like the idea of using restrainable to represent that it's a Power in a gizmo/item. Perhaps I'll start using that in my campaign.

Re: OHID and Foci

Originally posted by Dr Avenue

On RARE occasions I've allowed a player to have both OHID and Focus on a given Power. They have to really sell me on the character concept and I make sure they understand the risks with Foci. They can be taken away, damaged, used against the character if he doesn't have Personal Immunity, etc. I discourage the use of Lims just to get the cost down, it should have a concept explaination. That said, I wish they take more Lims and not try to be so Uber-powerful/infallible.

Well, the character in question is actually a child mutant. My idea was that because he "kicked in" his powers unusually early due to a life-threatening experience, a bunch of his powers became associated with the toys he was playing superhero with at the time because it was an easier way to manifest said powers. So they're literally Foci in the sense they serve to focus his own powers rather than provide such powers on their own. I figured it'd be neat over the campaign to save up enough XP to buy off the Focus limitations to reflect him outgrowing his childhood limitations as he matured. Of course, I actually have to find a good online game to play him in first :rolleyes:.