Sense Trouble

Guest Confusinator

Guest Confusinator

I want to create a power that enables my hero to sense when someone is in danger and needs his help. It is not limited to someone being in combat, and it does not apply to he being in trouble, but more of an ability to detect when he is needed somewhere. Like when Superman in the old TV series always seemed to hear someone screaming for help over everything else.

It should have the ability to cover a fairly large area, and be dicriminatory enough to enable the hero to find his way to the person needing help. I looked at two ways to do this, the first is with the Detect Sense:

29 Points - Detect the need to intervene: Detect A Class Of Things 14- (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Sense, Tracking), Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2) (36 Active Points)

The second way was to modify Danger Sense:

23 Points - Danger Sense (12-) (Area: General Area, Function as a Sense, Sensitivity: Out of Combat, Tracking), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (46 Active Points); Limited Power (Power loses about half of its effectiveness; -1)Notes:_Only to Detect danger to others.

Anyone have a better method or suggestions?

No suggestion, just a comment. In a busy city, if the area it covers was too big I'd forsee this character going insane as each night he lays down to go to sleep and is awakened by constnat car crashes, old ladies breaking their hips in the bath tub, kids getting lost on their way home, etc. But then that might be kind of cool too. Insomniac! the man who can never sleep!

Uh oh... I should be working but now I'm tempted to fire up hero designer...

For most cases, I'd go the Danger Sense route.

For someone like Superman, who tunes into people's cries for help with his super-hearing, I'd just give bonuses to Hearing PER with the Limitation Only To Hear Cries For Help (-1).

Monolith's suggestion is good for a character with Mental Powers, and a specific cast of individuals he keeps track of.

Guest Confusinator

FRED to the rescue

When all else fails, read the book.

The General Area adder for Danger Sense allows the character to detect any danger in his general area (city). This includes himself, or others.

Thanks for the input though.