Turakian Age: Far East Style?

TheTemplar

Hey Herophiles,

So, I've got a player in my upcoming TA campaign who wants to play a character who is basically a Samurai warrior (based on a character from the L5R CCG whose name I can't remember.) We've managed to sculpt him (more or less) into a more suitable mold for the TA setting, but I can't decide where to suggest that he be from. I was thinking Termirec....given the Temirese Duelest code of honor and what not...sounds like it might be a good fit. Although, the Temirese Swordfighting style is likened to Fencing from TMA (TTA pg 97) and all that the TTA book really mentions about the warriors there are that they "wield slim-bladed swords with great skill" - which could mean a katana (which would be PERFECT)...or a rapier, or foil, or any other light fencing weapon (which would be not as perfect.)

The TTA description of the country itself is "A land bound by strict rules of honor enforced by a complex code of duelling. Temirec finds itself in the uncomfortable position of having a virtuous king but corrupt court."

Anyone have a better idea for a homeland for a feudal japanese-style samurai PC?

Re: Turakian Age: Far East Style?

It's your campaign, so make it however you like. Since there aren't many details on the region of Temeric, fill in the details to your desire. One thing I don't like about the Turakian Age is the fact that there are so many kingdoms and regions that there's not enough detail for each of them in the book. I would have rather had fewer kingdoms with more information about the culture, society, cities, weapons and character concepts for each region. Maybe leave a few kingdoms with vague information so the GM can shape them to his desire. I just can't get a feel for the setting with so many regions to keep track of and only general descriptions for them.

Re: Turakian Age: Far East Style?

Yeah...I had thought about Thon-Sa..the racial feel at least is more in line with what we're looking for. Problem is, it sounds like they're more a nation of Monks (like you said, Tibetan or Nepalese) as opposed to Samurai. Plus, they're not too keen on the outside world, which doesn't really fit with the concept of his character's mission in his backstory.

Heh..funny you should mention the "gate" scenario. He had suggested that at one point, but when I advised him that would mean that he would have to start out with no knowledge whatsoever of his surroundings, any local languages, no interaction with his non-TA diety, etc., he decided that was a bad idea. I'm with you there, Markdoc. That one's always seemed cheesy to me, too.

Anyway, thanks for the help folks. I think I'll go ahead and use Temirec. It only requires minor tweaking to fit his concept.