Adventure Dilemma-Help(GMs only)

Dr. MID-Nite

Okay....I have a new group..and I'm using Champions Battlegrounds with them. We're in the first part. Well....in an effort to make things flow better, I foreshadowed things to happen in part three:

SPOILERS

Anyways, the players decided to focus on the missing persons(The Sudsy Nomination committee) and have now gathered it may have something to do with Omegaworld(Fatal Attractions Scenario). Now, my problem is the players want to scour the park from top to bottom looking for clues and/or bad guys. Well, I'd like to run Fatal Attractions mostly as written, but that may not be possible now. Any ideas on how to salvage this situation...or maybe improvise something along the lines of the original scenario? As a note, our bad guy has all the hostages, but the opening is still at least a week or two away. Help?

Rob

Re: Adventure Dilemma-Help(GMs only)

Assuming Omegaworld's grand opening runs like most businesses, there's still workers putting finishing touches on just about everything. Odds are the hostages aren't there yet (I'd want them kept someplace safe). It's probable at least some of the boobytraps aren't set up, because it would be too easy for them to be detected/messed up by the workers. Unless they're planning to search the place right before the opening, there won't be much (if anything) to find.

And of course, searching the place depends on convincing the appropriate people that there's probable cause. I don't know how much evidence the team has already found, but unless it's solid or the team is vigilante in outlook they may have trouble getting into the park to look.

If all else fails, you can always distract them by dropping them into the middle of Let's Go To The Maul. As written, it's not going to be a long distraction, but you might be able to pad it out a bit. "Why did GRAB want to steal worthless costume jewelry?" might be a place to start.

Assuming Omegaworld's grand opening runs like most businesses' date=' there's still workers putting finishing touches on just about everything. Odds are the hostages aren't there yet ([i']I'd[/i] want them kept someplace safe). It's probable at least some of the boobytraps aren't set up, because it would be too easy for them to be detected/messed up by the workers. Unless they're planning to search the place right before the opening, there won't be much (if anything) to find.

And of course, searching the place depends on convincing the appropriate people that there's probable cause. I don't know how much evidence the team has already found, but unless it's solid or the team is vigilante in outlook they may have trouble getting into the park to look.

If all else fails, you can always distract them by dropping them into the middle of Let's Go To The Maul. As written, it's not going to be a long distraction, but you might be able to pad it out a bit. "Why did GRAB want to steal worthless costume jewelry?" might be a place to start.

Well...I'm assuming they look around the park both now and later....though...later..I can solve the problem by having the heroes be away on another case..arriving back....only in the knick of time...maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I'm assuming they look around the park both now and later....though...later..I can solve the problem by having the heroes be away on another case..arriving back....only in the knick of time...maybe?

How about some red herrings? Anything you can distract them away with? Or, for a bigger distraction, any personal issues/disads that could suddenly come into play and burn up time?

Or how about if he (the bad guy) were doing a trial run in the middle of the night, just as they investigate? It could be pretty confusing and fun and you could more or less use it as written, yet explain why they're strangely ready (but confused) by the heroes. Better yet, have some innocents or small-time villains dressed up as and impersonating the heroes. Maybe they're even innocents who think they've signed up for some fun secret film project - and now the heroes need to save them.

To be honest, I wouldn't try to distract the players at all. Instead, I'd go with it and allow the logical conclusion to play out. The players search the park. Maybe, if they are thorough enough, they even find some clues as to what is going to happen on opening day. They won't know everything, but they probably get some idea that something is going to go down, and will want to keep investigating. If they do a good enough job, they may even unravel the plot before Black Harlequin gets it into full swing. They could wait in the park for BH to come set up his stuff and nab him, thus preventing a heinous crime before it really takes off and protecting a lot of people. Or they could be there on opening day, ready to foil BH as he launches his plan.

This means you don't get to run it as you wanted, but if the heroes really do a fine job of investigating, they *should* get the jump on the bad guys sometimes. They'll feel a major sense of accomplishment about the whole thing, which is a good thing. You could even play up their accomplishment, and have word get out that they prevented something awful with quick thinking and a proactive approach.

They'll still have to beat that tricky Black Harlequin and his goons, of course, before the plot is fully foiled...and Harlequin will almost certainly have some backup plans up his sleeve.

Sometimes, as GM, you've just gotta let that perfect story as you had envisioned it go...