New commer OCV/DCV question

Glabutz

Question

Hi,

I'm a newcommer here, and discovered the Hero system a few days ago, fo I was interrested in the Terran Empire, well critized in french rpg press.

I have a question that may have allready been asked, or that you'll find quite dork.

I have issues with OCV/DCV.

Mostly, I don't uderstand :

1. Why do they exist ?

The combat skills don't work the same way than the other skills, and I find it strange. I don't understand the need to use a "TAC0" like system (ok, this is not a nice thing to say, I appologize)

2. How do you "use" your combat skills ?

for 2 levels, you can do extra damages. Does it mean that you're OCV is lowered by the number of skill level you use ?

1 answer to this question

Well, they exist because that's how the system has determined a character's ability to hit a target (or avoid being hit) for over 20 years, and it works really well. Why does D&D have levels, or Deadlands have a shootin' skill? They're all just design decisions inherent in the system.

Combat Skill Levels have a wide variety of uses -- increasing OCV, increasing DCV, increasing damage, for example. If you use one to increase damage, it does not decrease your OCV -- you simply can't use it simultaneously to increase your OCV.

Since some other Hero fans may have further advice, I've copied this to "HERO System Discussion" so they can reply.

Glad to hear Terran Empire has been favorably received in France, and I hope you enjoy 5E!