Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

I suspect that Section 9 does all the stuff I wanted the PCs to be doing in Kazei 5, just didn't know how to do it. I know the revised Kazei 5 I am working on will stress this sort of stuff (which is counter-intellegence, domestic security, multinational espionage, and the like).

Re: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

the first 4 episodes all revolve around the brain in a box tech that lets you move brains to different cyber bodies etc. I like the series so far. But the movie was an order of magnitude better. we'll see how the next 8 episodes go.

Brain ina box technology has some interesting implications that I'm not sure GITS:SAC fully explores.

If you body is cybernetic, do doctors become mechanics?

If you can go from body to body at will, do age and gender mean anything real anymore? What happens to gender identity wheny you can become male or female at will? What is you adapot a cybernetic body that has no gender at all? And what is the point of sexuality in the first palce if bodies are built rather than born? Or will there be new formes of sexuality based solely upon emntal experience?

Speaking of which, since all organic brains inevitably age and die, how DO you reproduce? Or will humanity be relplaced by a completely cyberntic fileform as the last of the organic brains ages and dies?

What about brain diseases such as Alzheimer's Disease, Parkisnon's Disease and Asperger's Syyndrome? What about mental illness? Would doctors be willing to put a brain with a percieved mental defect into a cybernetic body?

Will people with organic bodies become an underclass, lviing in the flesh because they can't afford to go cyber?

Would people be put into brain boxes against their will if the governemnt needs to draft an army of cybernteic soldiers and doesn;t have enough volunteers? Would you punish people for crimes be putting their brainbs in sensory isolation, and what would be the consequences for that mind?

If the only way you can be sure you've killed someone is if you;ve detsoryed their brain, how will that affect weapons development? Will guns become obsolete, because most gunshot wounds will only affect parts that can be easily replaced? can you armor the braincase to make it effectively bulletproof? And if so, how DO you kill someone? indeed, what is the point of combat?

You could beuoild novels, films and whole campaign settings around the answers to these questions.