Japanese Horror

yamamura

Those who read this post will die in seven days, unless they make a copy of it and post it elsewhere for others to see :sneaky: (Just joking).

This is a treatment of the curse video from the movie Ringu. While other powers can be added (such as transformation i.e. normal person into YAMAMURA Sadako) they are from the books and I am only dealing with the first movie. I have set up the video as basically a trap so sit back and enjoy the cursed video…. Static

Sadako’s Video

127 pts. Seven Days: HKA 4d6, Trigger (One Week after watching the cursed video; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), NND (Defense is Making a copy of the Video and Showing it to someone else within Seven days; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (285 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4)

150 pts. Loyal Ghosts: Major Transform 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (Person killed by the video into ghost loyal to Sadako), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (150 Active Points)

21 pts. Make a Copy: Create a 298-point copy, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, -2), OAF Fragile (Curse Video and New Video Tape; -1 1/4)

As always comments and advice is most welcome. Also does anybody else have some scary Japanese Ghosties they would like to share? :angst:

For an in depth discussion of the Ring Cycle (we are not talking Wagner or Tolkien here) check out;

Ring World

G

Re: Japanese Horror

Oddly enough, there was an article on japanese horror films in today's Oregonian whose author finds them quite superior to the current American crop. I don't watch horror movies, so I wouldn't know.

But I do know the American remake of The Grudge is doing very well at the box office despite the reviews it's getting. I swear that unless it's something very potent, American critics knock one letter grade off every "genre film" they see.

Re: Japanese Horror

Oddly enough' date=' there was an article on japanese horror films in today's [i']Oregonian[/i] whose author finds them quite superior to the current American crop. I don't watch horror movies, so I wouldn't know.

But I do know the American remake of The Grudge is doing very well at the box office despite the reviews it's getting. I swear that unless it's something very potent, American critics knock one letter grade off every "genre film" they see.

First off American critics don't like horror (never have). So it takes a really great film for them to even admit they like it. Of course after seeing something on AMC I would guess male critics are even harder on horror then female critics. In this little blurp it was said that guys when they get scared of something in a horror movie, will keep going to it until it no longer scare them (after all it isn't manly to get scared). So my guess, not wanting to appear scared a male critic would tend to give bad review to something that scared him (just a theory).

As for Japanese Horror movies being better, the Japanese industries is already feeding upon itself. After the sucess of Ringu and Ju-on (the Grudge) and a couple of other they are looking to make a ton of these and Sturgeon Law will soon be in full effect. But I have seen one recently that is good, if you can rent Ju-rei.

G