Name help requested for an idealistic archer

Guest xHazard

Re: Name help requested for an idealistic archer

Well, thanks for all the replies. It was a tough decision, but I said "the hell with it" and went with Shaft, Liefeld be damned!

He he is, for anyone who's interested.

Nice design, I especially like the micro-mesh nets. 8 DEF will hold just about any non-brick. Also like that you went with two seperate killing attack arrows, one at a reasonable level, the other at "kill robots dead" level. Very effective.

As a GM, I couldn't allow "Reputation: Hard Edged Hero of the People". It doesn't seem disadvantageous. "Reputation: Criminal Vigilante" or "Reputation: Wanna-Be Indian Twink" might fit the character, and would be disadvantageous. Remember the Reputation disadvantage is supposed to represent widespread negative views of the character, though not necessarily an accurate view. Being seen as a "hard edged hero" isn't really being viewed negatively, especially in Blade-Runneresque cyberpunk setting.

Let's say you go with "Reputation: Criminal Vigilante" (because if people are going to have the wrong image of you, you'd rather be mistaken for a psycho than a clown). I know where you can get the points to buy the "Reputation: Hard Edged Hero of the People" Perk to offset it.

Here's what you do: Get rid of the Grapple Gun, and replace it with a Grapple Arrow. Not only is this a trademark of super archers (it is, in fact, the very first trick arrow ever used by Hawkeye!), but it will only cost you a point. That gives you six points to spend on Reputation, or maybe Reputation and a Skill.

Also this is wrong:

8) Smoke and Chaff Arrow: Change Environment 8" radius, -6 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -6 to Infrared Perception PER Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects

I think you meant Radar, not IR Perception (since that's already covered by the SIght Group).

Guest xHazard

Re: Name help requested for an idealistic archerWell, since it seems I had 50 more points to play with, I made a few changes. I took some of your suggestions, and I added a few thing of my own. I upped his defenses as per the GM's advise, and I upped his Dex to 30, which is where I wanted it originally. I added a few ranged MA, and a new slot to his Bow Multipower, A Ranged Missle Defelction.Check him out.ShaftPlayer: D

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
30 DEX 60
15 CON 10
15 BODY 10
20 INT 10
20 EGO 20
20 PRE 10
10 COM 0
4/22 PD 0
3/19 ED 0
7 SPD 30
7 REC 0
50 END 10
33 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 170
Cost Power END
20 Uncanny AIm: Find Weakness 11- with Bow 0
22 Layered Polycarbon Suit: Armor (12 PD/10 ED); OIF (-1/2) 0
3 Domino Mask: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
8 Earpiece Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) 0
37 Micro-Tech Bow and Quiver: Multipower, 60-point reserve, 32 Charges (+1/4); OAF (-1)
3u 1) Normal Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4); Beam (-1/4) 4
3u 2) Counterfire: Missile Deflection (Arrows, Slings, Etc.), +14 to Missile Deflection, Full Range (+1) (60 Active Points); Each Deflection attempt uses one charge (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4) 0
4u 3) Blunt Tipped Arrow: Energy Blast 9d6, STUN Only (+0); Beam (-1/4) 4
5u 4) Kevlar Edged Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2); Beam (-1/4) 6
6u 5) Explosive Tip Arrow: Energy Blast 9 1/2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) 6
5u 6) Electro-Static Shock Arrow: Energy Blast 8d6, No Normal Defense (Force Field; +1/2); Beam (-1/4) 6
3u 7) Micro-Mesh Net Arrow: Entangle 4d6, 8 DEF; Entangle Has 1 BODY (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 6
4u 8) Flash-Bang Arrow: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) 4
4u 9) Smoke Arrow: Change Environment 8" radius, -6 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects 4
1u 10) Grappling Arrow: Swinging 10", x4 Noncombat; OAF (-1) 1
Powers Cost: 128
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Super-Archery
4 Quick Shot: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +2 DC
5 Offensive Trip: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike +v/5, Target Falls
4 Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, 35 STR to Disarm
Martial Arts Cost: 13
Cost Skill
0 Acting 8-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Climbing 15-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Electronics 13-
0 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)
3 Language: Gutterspeak (completely fluent)
3 Lockpicking 15-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 KS: American History 8-
3 AK: New LA 13-
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
2 PS: Student 11-
2 SS: Micro-technology 11-
2 SS: Metallurgy 11-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 15-
1 TF:Personal Hovercraft: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Weaponsmith (Arrows, Bolts, And Darts, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 13-
8 Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifier with Bow
15 +3 with Ranged Combat
Skills Cost: 67
Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
Perks Cost: 10
Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
Talents Cost: 12
Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: Enforcers 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Local Street Gangs 11- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20 Psychological Limitation: Altruistic (Very Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Believes in the dream of the Old USA (Common, Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)
15 Enraged: When innocent people are harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
10 Dependent NPC: Joseph and Mary Anne Tyler (Parents) 8- (Normal)
15 Dependent NPC: Helen Caulfield (Girlfriend) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10 Reputation: Criminal Vigilante, 11-
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 250Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 400

Height: 1.87 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 104.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: Thomas is a very athletically built young man. His dark brown hair is kept short and his face clean shaven. As Shaft he were a black sleeve-less uniform with various belts and pouches, a black trenchcoat usually over top. His quiver is on his back and he wears a custom made black domino mask with built in nightvision.

(Anyone who's read the Ultimates, imagine Ultimate Hawkeye with slighlty longer brown hair and a mask.)

Personality: Thomas feels that he has a responsibitly to do all that he can to 'fix' things, to make the world like it was in his stories. "Liberty and Justice for all." That was what he heard, and damned if that wasn't what he was going to try and provide.

Thomas is a quit guy, keeps to himself, and has a very sarcastic sense of humour. When he goes out as Shaft though, he changes. He gets more of an attitude, a little cocky, a lot more aggressive.

Quote:Background: Thomas Jefferson Tyler was born to an unusual home. His father was a Native American, a member of the Cayuse tribe. His mother was a noted scientist and professor. They lived outside of Portland, using his mothers money and his father skills in the wild to live a life as much away from the government as they could. Both of his parents had a deep resentment for the government, and they instilled in there son the belief that it shouldn't be like this, nor was it always. They told him stories, stories they had heard themselves, nothing ever written, just passed on. Stories of the Old United states, a land of freedom for all. They named there son after one of the men in the stories, Thomas Jefferson.

As Thomas grew they soon realized that he was special. He learned quickly, picking up science and mathematics from his mother and skills such as stealth and survival from his father. A natural athelte, he excelled in all sports, though he didn't play them often. At 8 his father introduced him to the Bow. Thomas's father Joeseph hated guns, all he used was the bow, and so that it what he taught his son. By 11 he was as good as his father, by 15 he was better, and by the age of 18 when he left for college Thomas's skill with a bow was without peer. He left for New LA and for school, and soon dicovered a far different world than the one he was used to. The city was a strange place, but he adapted. It bothered him, some of the things he saw, the poverty, the crime, the sense of dispare that hung in the air. He came to a discision there, he decided that he wasn't just going to sit back and watch, to sit on the sidelines and complain. No, he was going to do something to change this world. Something drastic. He had learned a lot from his father, and he had gotten very good at making his way through the city unseen. That along with his knowledge of engineering and micro-technology and his skill as an archer gave him all he needed.

Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: 

Re: Name help requested for an idealistic archer

Why are the explosive tip and flash bang arrows non-selective

targeting explosions? You have to roll to hit everyone in

the area? That doesn't make much sense to me...

Also, shouldn't the flash-bangs be flash to sight _and_ hearing?

Being as that is the 'bang' part of flash-bang. And why the

personal immunity? How about just getting some flash defense and drop

the personal immunity?

My $0.05. All I had was a nickle. Keep the change. :-D