Cyber-Horror HERO

Mark Taylor

I ran a GURPS CthulhuPunk last year and it was pretty good. Now I'm thinking about doing something similar with HERO System but using a more generic type horror setting rather than the Cthulhu Mythos. The background would be along the lines of a near (but not too near) future setting (maybe 2066), in which traditional horror monsters like vampires, werewolves etc. exist, but many years (maybe decades or centuries) ago formed themselves into one or more secret societies and infiltrated many areas of government and corporate culture. A secrect society (or maybe more than one) dedicated to fighting the monsters also exists, and as the war escalated they began to gain the upper hand, so to redress the balance the monsters started to screw around with their own DNA, allowing them to eliminate some of their traditional weaknesses (garlic, sunlight, silver, etc) and become harder to beat. Now it's gotten to the stage where they're producing all kinds of weird genetically modified varieties of themselves so the Monster Hunters (the PCs among them) hardly know what to expect from one moment to the next and the monsters are regaining the upper hand. Both the monsters and the hunters use Cyberware, Bioware, Designer Combat Drugs... anything they can develop or get their hands on to try to tip the balance. A great big monstrous arms race.

That's all I've thought of so far really. Just casting around for ideas and suggestions. :D

Re: Cyber-Horror HERO

I ran a GURPS CthulhuPunk last year and it was pretty good. Now I'm thinking about doing something similar with HERO System but using a more generic type horror setting rather than the Cthulhu Mythos. The background would be along the lines of a near (but not too near) future setting (maybe 2066)' date=' in which traditional horror monsters like vampires, werewolves etc. exist, but many years (maybe decades or centuries) ago formed themselves into one or more secret societies and infiltrated many areas of government and corporate culture. A secrect society (or maybe more than one) dedicated to fighting the monsters also exists, and as the war escalated they began to gain the upper hand, so to redress the balance the monsters started to screw around with their own DNA, allowing them to eliminate some of their traditional weaknesses (garlic, sunlight, silver, etc) and become harder to beat. Now it's gotten to the stage where they're producing all kinds of weird genetically modified varieties of themselves so the Monster Hunters (the PCs among them) hardly know what to expect from one moment to the next and the monsters are regaining the upper hand. Both the monsters and the hunters use Cyberware, Bioware, Designer Combat Drugs... [i']anything[/i] they can develop or get their hands on to try to tip the balance. A great big monstrous arms race.

Take out the cyberware part and that IS my campaign!! I would suggest lowering the point totals though. We are much more enjoying ourselves with heroic level characters than superheroic.

Mark Taylor,

I have a slightly different concept, feel free to discard it if you don't like it. ;)

Rather than having the traditional "monster" types (werewolf, vampire, etc.)

how about "monsters" that are unique to the genre?

There is an old Lovecraft story called "Cool Air"

(and here it is: Cool Air )

(It is short, you may want to read it to get an idea of the "tone".)

So I don't ruin a perfectly good story for you, I am going to withhold most of my comments.

Let me just say that, in the future, cyberware could allow people to overcome the same "limitation".

I will give you a chance to read for yourself, and check back later to discuss it a bit more.

KA.

KA, and this is not just the beer talking, but I have great respect for ya man. You always got something good to say. Even if I don't agree with ya, you are at least well argued with salient points.

And you come up with some cherry links. :)

Keep it up!!

KA, and this is not just the beer talking, but I have great respect for ya man. You always got something good to say. Even if I don't agree with ya, you are at least well argued with salient points.

And you come up with some cherry links. :)

Keep it up!!

Thanks, Rapier!

I try to do my best. :o

KA.