Alien Wars: Before hyperdrive, there was...

Basil

Re: Alien Wars: Before hyperdrive, there was...

Hmmm...some good points there. There is one little thing I'd like to point out' date=' though. The interstellar medium, [i']on average[/i], does not carry a charge (is not ionized). "Locally" (such a with a light-year or so of a star) it certainly is, but overall...nope. That's one reason the 21cm band is used for really long-range radio signal hunts.

I don't have the forumulas handy to figure out energy loss due to sync radiation, but my gut feeling is that while it might be enough to eventually slow a ship down, you'd be talking thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of years before you'd have a noticable drop in velocity.

Oops. Misunderstood some notes I took from an article in a book by, I believe, Niven &/or Pournelle. Unfortunately it was a library book, so I don't have it to refer to. However, The Starflight Handbook mentions 10^5 ions/cubic meter as a typical interstellar medium. Which is a long way from "fairly ionized" as I first said, but still, it is ionized, and it will carry a shockwave. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is a long way from "fairly ionized" as I first said' date=' but still, it is ionized, and it will carry a shockwave. :)[/quote']

That's true, but it's so diffuse that you'd have to have one heck of a velocity (in the upper relativistic range) before it would begin to act significantly in that fashion. (shrug)

Ok now that I've had a chance to read more it all starts to make more sense. Solar Hero deals with the establishment of colonies within the solar system. Mars was the first to be established in 2093. The next year the United Nations became the United Earth Senate.

In 2104 the UES establishes the colony act which allows individual Earth Senators to have control of whatever colony worlds they wish to pay to establish. Over the next 4 decades colonies are established on Venus and various moons of Jupiter and Saturn. The colonist arrive at these distant locations by means of sleeper ships.

In 2203 the hyperdrive was created. This lead to the establishment of more Senate Worlds outside of the solar system. The first of these worlds was Alpha Centauri IV in 2214. From their other Senate Worlds are established on other planets. By the 24th century there are 91 Senate Worlds, which then leads into the Xenovore Wars.

There never were any Senate ships slowly creeping their way to Alpha Centauri or anywhere else until the hyperdrive was created. That's my current understanding of it anyway.

Ok now that I've had a chance to read more it all starts to make more sense. Solar Hero deals with the establishment of colonies within the solar system. Mars was the first to be established in 2093. The next year the United Nations became the United Earth Senate.

In 2104 the UES establishes the colony act which allows individual Earth Senators to have control of whatever colony worlds they wish to pay to establish. Over the next 4 decades colonies are established on Venus and various moons of Jupiter and Saturn. The colonist arrive at these distant locations by means of sleeper ships.

In 2203 the hyperdrive was created. This lead to the establishment of more Senate Worlds outside of the solar system. The first of these worlds was Alpha Centauri IV in 2214. From their other Senate Worlds are established on other planets. By the 24th century there are 91 Senate Worlds, which then leads into the Xenovore Wars.

There never were any Senate ships slowly creeping their way to Alpha Centauri or anywhere else until the hyperdrive was created. That's my current understanding of it anyway.

Thank you very, very much. That clarifies things, AFAICS.

I'll definitely have to get Solar Hero.

As soon as damaged copies go on sale. I can't afford HG books otherwise. :(

Thank you very' date=' [u']very[/u] much. That clarifies things, AFAICS.

I'll definitely have to get Solar Hero.

As soon as damaged copies go on sale. I can't afford HG books otherwise. :(

You will have plenty of time to save for Solar Hero. Based on current production schedules I doubt if it will be published before 2008 or 2009. :)

Have you ever tried buying from any online retailers or eBay? I find that http://www.frpgames.com has decent prices on books. You can also find a large selection of Hero books on sale at eBay from various online stores, usually at 20-30% off. You can also pick up used books a few months after they are out from gamers. I know that Nato, the Hero artist was recently selling all artist copies on eBay for half price. It's worth a try to look.

Oh. OK' date=' then how are you getting to read the rough draft?[/quote']

I wasn't reading the rough draft. I was reading the information from the Hero Universe pdf, Alien Wars, Terran Empire, and Galactic Champions, all of which have parts of the official timeline in them. I just compiled it all into what you see above for easier understanding. :)