Help with Racist Slang

JmOz

Re: Help with Racist Slang

Maybe he's referred to as Chop Chop. This was actually a sidekick's name in the Blackhawks comic strip ages ago.

Though you have to keep in mind what some people today may *think* was racist, wasn't. Also, try not to use modern references if possible. "African-American" wasn't around back then. "Asian-Americans" were generally referred to by their country, or Japs or Chincs. Another mix name might be something like half-breed.

Even today some words have a different meaning than they did years ago. Originally, Negro wasn't capitalized, but spelled "negro" and was changed by blacks who sent letters to Webster's, I believe. Colored People may seem insulting, until you realize it's part of the NAACP, (like the United Negro College Fund), and was an attempt to get rid of racial words towards blacks.

If any of your campaign takes place regarding the military, this was the time (especially during the Korean War) where the military no longer segregated blacks and whites; soldiers of different ethnicities were cooperating in the military before doing so in 'civilized' America.

Kirby,

Thank you very much, that is quite helpful. You touched on somethign I have been haveing a hard time expressing, that social norms have changed and what was considered normal has become taboo. The Asian character is a modern charcter, they are not, so I am looking for that conflict (What was normal/what is normal)

"I'm Chinese, not Japanese!"

"Does that mean you're a commie?"

Remember, in the 50's you had both the People's Republic of China and North Korea as major communist threats. Anti-communist behavior was considered extremely patriotic.

And you can keep bringing this up any time the Chinese character says anything against the U.S. government.

"Are you sure you're not a commie?"

In addition, they would have no understanding of the assorted martial arts.

"Hey Chinaman, use some of your fancy chop-socky moves on him."

And remember, all Chinese know all other Chinese.

"You know Mister Po. He's the waiter at that little Chinese restaurant over in Beaverville..."

In a somewhat more helpful vein...have you seen "The Venture Brothers" yet? While not completely on track, the two brothers are almost screamingly 50's in a lot of ways. Plus, the show is funny as all get out. Might be helpful if you are looking for some other RP guidelines.

Kirby,

Thank you very much, that is quite helpful. You touched on somethign I have been haveing a hard time expressing, that social norms have changed and what was considered normal has become taboo. The Asian character is a modern charcter, they are not, so I am looking for that conflict (What was normal/what is normal)

You are quite welcome. What might be some light comedy along the way is if your Asian character starts talking about Yin and Yang and the 50's characters state something like "Mister, we don't use that language around here."