Hero System 5th Edition, Revised now in Online Store

Ben Seeman

Re: Hero System 5th Edition, Revised now in Online Store

Hoo boy, I've been waiting for this book to get started with HERO.

Out of curiousity, how was it bound? I've been reading some posts over on RPGnet wondering if the binding will be able hold all those pages. Was it glued, sewn, what?

Re: Hero System 5th Edition, Revised now in Online Store

Picked mine up at the local comic/game store in Pensacala, FL yesterday. Other than the white "REVISED" lettering under the cover title, some changes to the text on the back and the black chapter marks on the page edges it looks practically identical to FREd; except that its 1/2 inch (13mm) thicker.

The only flaw it seems to be that the glue job holding it to its cover wasn't done very well on this particular copy. Some loose spots where the paper insert is glued to the covers. However, the pages seem to be well secured to the inserted binding. I expect it will be as durable as FREd and if the insert does come free of the cover it'll be a minor repair to fix it. Unfortunately the store I purchased mine from only ordered one, and that only because I had been by looking for it last week.

I haven't went through cover to cover just yet, just thumbed here and there, but it looks first rate so far. I don't have to take a magic marker to the edges of the pages in each chapter, it's been done already and the titles are printed at the edge for quick reference. Looks like lots of information have been pulled into 5ER so that one doesn't have to keep reaching for a supplement to find it (size/mass templates and physical limitations for same). The "Genre by Genre" chapter and the actual sample character write-ups should make 5ER immensely more accessible for people new to the system than FREd.