Question about resistant defenses with power defense and others

ioticus

The 5ER rules state you can buy resistant defense for power defense, mental defense and flash defense. I see no provision in the rules to make the attacks they defend against only apply to resistant defenses. What am I missing? The closest modifier I can find for this is AVLD, but it never states explicitly that you use it for that.

Re: Question about resistant defenses with power defense and others

The rule you mention allows a character to buy defenses against Limited Defense attacks bought with the Does Body (+1) Advantage.

EX: Mindkiller has Ego Attack, Does Body (+1). Most characters with Mental Defense will still take the BODY of the attack even though their Defense protects them from the STUN. If Mindshield buys his Mental Defense Resistant, then that much BODY doesn't get through.

The bottom line is: everything that can be done to another character has to have some defense or opposite in order for the game to be balanced.

As for how - you simply buy Damage Resistance for the Defense. If your character has 15 points of Flash Defense, and you want 10 of it to be Resistant, it'll cost you 5 points. (1 CP makes 2 points of nonresistant defense resistant)

Hope that helps!

The rules state the Does Body advantage for an Ego attack is treated like a normal attack and is not a killing attack. The rules also state that Does Body cannot be applied to a Flash attack. Therefore, what is the utility of buying Damage Resistance for limited defenses?

Guest Champsguy

You buy Power Defense resistant in case some joker buys an RKA AVLD. That's the only reason. I say "no way", and just say that Power Defense is automatically resistant. It's lame otherwise.

Resistant flash/mental/power defense is needed for RKA BOECV/AVLD. Because it's killing, you only defend agaisnt the body with resistant defense (if it has DOES BODY), and you only get defense against the stun if you have at least some resistant defense.

These don't show up often, but they can be built.

Kelcyron

I suppose someone could buy' date=' say, HKA, AVLD: Flash Defense, Does Body, so you would only be protected if you bought Resistant Flash Defense, right?[/quote']

Right, that's the way the Powers That Be see it.

In my games, I've always played it the same way Champsguy has. Special defenses are automatically resistant. That's a house rule though. YMMV.