Summoning and active power cost limits

Guest Ranma

Guest Ranma

I am the GM for a new group of players and we are trying to figure out what to do with the summoning power. We are looking at creating a character who can summon massive creatures but they would have so many advantages and disadvantages i dont know if it is normally legal. Its is based on yugioh dueling cards. summoning 250 point creature limited class of monsters +1/2, X4 number of beings, slavishly devoted. This is 195 active points, but no conscious control(cards must be drawn at random), and OAF Dueling deck, make it real cost of 70. We have a low powered super hero game begining. Is this power outside of the normal allowable limits. The sameple vampire listed in the book is around 350-400 points or so but has so many requirements it is a very low real cost. How do you handle this.

don't go for EXACTLY what the cards are capable of. Just build on relative terms. For example, I would give the Blue Eyes White Dragon the following:

STR: 40*

DEX: 15

BOD: 15*

PD 5

ED 5

SPD 3

REC 10

END 50

STN 60*

*Growth: 6 Levels (0 END, Persistant, Always On) (60 AP, 40 RC)

Resistant Defenses: 5 Points (5)

Natural Armor: 5/5 (15)

White Lightning Attack 5d6 Energy Blast (EX, 0 END) (50 AP)

Something like that

I think you're talking about a genre convention that is not anticipated in the basic Hero System rules. If it were a standard Hero game, I would say stick to the active points on Summon. For a 250-pt. super to be able to summon 4 slavishly devoted 100-pt. creatures is a huge boost. Why would you want the 250-pt. character to summon four creatures that are way stronger than the summoner and pose no control difficulties for the summoner? Summon gives a lot of power for the points ,and in a regular game I would see no reason to unlimit it.

However, maybe your game has a genre requirement that does require reconsidering the guidelines.

I'm not terribly familiar with what you would want in a Yugioh (?) game, but if the convention is that all character and all villains are going to have these deuling decks, then what you should do is put the standard campaign guidelines aside and develop special rules concerning the decks. Figure out what common decks should look like, create some sample decks, and examine what patterns or limits you can from those. From that, develop the rules on what deck creation would look like for your game.