Exploding vehical

SuperBlue

Okay, in my PBEM game, one of the PC's shot a laser at the bad guys escape vehical, and only did 2 body (that's after defenses). He was aiming for the engine block, but got a bad roll so I determined that he hit the gas tank (where else :-p ) but only did enough damage to cause the gas tank to start spewing fuel.

Here's my problem: One of the bad guys made it back to the van (is currently climibing in). One of the PC's shouted that the van was going to blow, but he won't get another action for a little bit. How long should I delay the explosion (if it happens at all) and how much damage should a full tank of gas do?

I was thinking something along the lines of 5d6 RKA EX

My answers would be:

The delay before explosion would depend on dramatic effect. Is it going to explode right when the bad guy takes the wheel? Or does he know it's going to explode, and he just needs a few seconds to drive the van into the player characters? I don't you want to delay too long (more than a turn is too much probably), but I would delay the explosion until the most opportune time for dramatic effect.

I suppose that the damage done by the explosion would be related in part to how much gas was left in the van? How much gas is left is probably something the player characters don't know. Therefore, the damage done by the explosion depends upon the state in which I want the bad buy to be after the explosion. If he is to survive, then roll a number of dice that gives him a decent chance of living. If he is to die, then add a few dice on to that. If you want the player characters to be caught in the explosion, pick up a good handfull of dice.

Mmmmm, explosion...

I wouldn't make it a killing attack. The old Champions had most vehicles exploding at 15d6.

And looking it up in 5e shows 15d6 as well. They also list the gas tank at 12 litres. (A liter is a little bigger than a quart.)

Though I would just make the explosion large enough to accomplish what you want it to do. That's how they base it in the movies I'd wager.