Bardic spell - "We are Heroes"

Zandari

Hey discussion board groupies, I have a player who wants to be a Bard, but Bard spells are a bit tricky, since they tend to be buffs on other characters. Not wanting to use the regular old "here is some force field" approach, I would like a spell that actually makes other people better fighters. I thought about Aid:Succor for a boost to STR and DEX while the song lasts, but that is sort of boring. Besides, in a Fantasy setting 2d6 of STR doesn't really feel all that impressive, and 4d6 of STR boost is just ridiculous. DEX on the other hand, is too expensive for low power Aid to feel interesting.

Here is what I came up with, and I would love feedback on whether this is a legal build or not:

"We are Heroes" Bardic song that provides actual combat skill to up to four teammates who are within earshot of the Bard. The bard has to play and sing to maintain the effect, leaving him somewhat vulnerable, and had better be a pretty good musician or it won't work at all.

+2 8-point CSLs [16 pts]

Usable by others +1/4

x2, x2 (total of 4 others) +1/4, +1/4

ranged (180" is crazy, but we come back to that later) +1/2

This gets me a total adder of +1.25, for 36 active points, yes? This is the basis for the range of 180", if I do my math correctly (no guarantees, there).

Now for the limitations:

OAF, fragile, difficult to obtain (Musical Instrument) -1, -1/4, -1/4

Concentrate throughout 1/2 DCV (singing and playing) -1/2

Gestures throughout (play instrument) -1/2

Incantations throughout (singing) -1/2

RSR (Music skill at -4) -1/2

Limited Range (1" per active point or 36") -1/4

Limited Power (only works if they can hear the song) -1/4

I got a total of -4 limitations, for a real cost of 7.2, or 7 points. The Bard will pay 4 END for every phase that he keeps this thing going.

Am I doing this right? And what do you fine denizens of the intarwebs underworld think of the concept?

Re: Bardic spell - "We are Heroes"

You don't have to buy Ranged and then Limited Range; you can just get Limited Range as an Advantage worth +1/4.

You can't take "Difficult to obtain" on that Focus because it's not Expendable. Unless, of course, the finale for the spell is to smash your lyre on the ground... :)

That's 32 Active Points and 3.5 worth of limitations, for a final cost of 7.11... or 7.

Keep in mind that, based on this writeup, the Bard determines where he wants the levels to go, not the players using the levels.

How would I make it so that the receiving characters can use the CSLs as they wish? My original concept was that they would merely receive it as OCV with whatever attack they happen to be using, but as I progressed, I used the 8-point levels so that they could use them with any combat.

Keep in mind that' date=' based on this writeup, the Bard determines where he wants the levels to go, not the players using the levels.[/quote']

I disagree. Usable BY others powersd are controlled by the recipient user. Usable AGAINST others powers are controlled by the character who possesses the UAA power.

Hmmm... I don't have my book here at work, but I thought that the person who pays the END determines where the power goes (my shorthand way of remembering). I thought Usable Simultaneously lets the recipient determine, while Usable By lets the power's owner determine it.

Of course, something else I just realized about my spell is that it doesn't really cost END to use combat skill levels, so I would need to add "Costs END" as a limitation to the spell, or he could just play the song all the time.

This is starting to sound like a really good spell for a bad guy to have.... :nonp:

With the 1/2 DCV, Gestures, and Incantations throughout the spell, I think it's limiting enough that I wouldn't require an END cost. It's up to you, of course, how you conceive the spell to work. If it's really a magical effect, then sure, maybe it takes END from a Reserve or the user. If it's actually a psychological effect of the inspirational singing, then I'd make it cost no END.

Looking in the book, if the Caster controls the use of the power, it's purchased as Usable as an Attack. If the Target controls use of the power, it's Usable by Others/Usable Simultaneously.

So the spell as drafted allows each person to allocate the levels as he or she sees fit.

I read this, and with a little thought, decided I really like this. For my 2 groats, I'd say to leave it as a semi magical skill, with no END cost. I confess to having experienced this effect in RL, during one of our choreographed battles at a Ren Faire. seriously, warpipes and battle drums make you fight better. Probably 'cause the fill all the empty parts of your brain that'd normally let you become frightened or distracted with "GO Smash the Enemy" vibes. This calls to mind a number of other similar bardic skills...

reduced end on running, UBO, still encurs LTE losses

(done this one too...did a half mile march in full armor at a log because we had the Wicked Tinkers piping for our march.... funny, when 70 guys in chainmail hauberks and 2 handed weapons come jogging down the road, people get out of the way :D)

A Pre boost similar to the Inspire Talent is a must

Another cool idea would be to give a similar treatment to the Berserk Fury Talent. AS log as you don't mind all your allies going bugnuts crazy :D

For some reason, I just got the image of what that ability would've done in one campaign I ran whith one character who was a deposed Dwarven King with a core group of Followers who were the remains of his personal guard.

And incendentally.....

I'm sure I can't be the only person who models bards off their celtic origin rather than the "adventuring minstrel" model D&D has inflicted on the gaming community.

For excellent examples of more "traditional" bards, check out GURPS Celtic Myths, "Hunter of the Light" by Risa Aratyr, most of Morgan Llwyellyn's books, and the classic Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Conversion3e/Class3e/Bards.shtml

Inspire Greatness: Succor 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), AOE (6" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4), all Primary Characteristics simultaneously (+2) (76 Active Points); Incantations (throughout; -1/2), Concentration, throughout (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Power Skill (PRE): Performance; -1/2); Real Cost: 30 Points; Costs 3 END per Phase

K. Shrike,

Your spell is very similar to what I had originally, although I added an instrumental requirement. The Active Point cost is far above what I allow however; I maintain that Animists (as I call non-arcane users) may only have EGOx3 Active Points in a spell. In fact, this may be a good time to post my magic system and see what people think!

Also, did the boost of Primary Characteristics trickle down to increasing Figured Characteristics?

Zandari

K. Shrike,

No need to be so formal; you can call me by my first name -- Killer.

jk; most folks just go with "KS".

Your spell is very similar to what I had originally, although I added an instrumental requirement.

I consider the "instumental" requirement to be covered by: Requires A Skill Roll (Power Skill (PRE): Performance; -1/2) -- if the character's Performance Skill is defined as being "Play Bagpipes" or "A Cappella" or "Soft Shoe Tap Dance" it doesnt matter to the Power Construct. Increased Genericness = greater reusability.

The Active Point cost is far above what I allow however; I maintain that Animists (as I call non-arcane users) may only have EGOx3 Active Points in a spell.

Well,

A) I dont consider this to be a "Spell" so much as I consider it to be either an "Extraordinary" or "Supernatural" Ability depending on how fast and loose a GM is with what "Extraordinary" Abilities can do.

B) I dont play with AP caps personally -- I find no value in them as balancing mechanics and further find that their primary function is to stifle creativity in character design.

C) Lower the effect to suit your AP caps.

In fact, this may be a good time to post my magic system and see what people think!

Go for it!

Also, did the boost of Primary Characteristics trickle down to increasing Figured Characteristics?

Nope. Adjustments of any sort do not automatically affect figureds.