Help With a Concept Side Effect

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

Okay, AniMae is the living incarnation of an animae character, with all the appropriate powers and abilities. However, a side effect of her being basically a living cartoon is that everything below a certain mass that she touches or carries "becomes" a cartoon until she stops touching it or puts it down.

For example, hand her something and while she's carrying it the item looks like a cartoon. Shake hands with her and for the split second your touching, you look like a cartoon.

So... how would one build this "power"? Or should we just call it special effects and go home?

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Agent Escafarc

How about a Cosmetic Tranform unless the change is more involved?

One where the healing time was "As soon as AniMae lets go"?

Well, it depends really. Does turning an object into a cartoon give the character any sort of advantage over her opponents? Is she going to use it as a presence attack often?

"Don't mess with me, or I'll Japanimate you!"

If so, then yes, I would think it should be bought as a cosmetic transform with immediate healing time as soon as she breaks contact with said object.

However, if she gains nothing from the ability, then I would rule it is merely a special effect.

Now...If this is also used as a Disad: Greatly Impairing, Always on - can't touch anything w/out it becoming a cartoon, then it shouldn't be worth any points if it can also be used to her advantage.

My 2 gp.

-T

For just a nifty special effect, I was thinking Change Environment, but as usual I don't have my book with me to verify. As I recall that's generally for area effect. But if, say the 1-hex the character was standing in changed (cosmetically) then this might still work.

I really need to have a second book.

Hey Steve! When does the Champions Pocket Reference come out? :D

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by TheTemplar

Well, it depends really. Does turning an object into a cartoon give the character any sort of advantage over her opponents? Is she going to use it as a presence attack often?

"Don't mess with me, or I'll Japanimate you!"

If so, then yes, I would think it should be bought as a cosmetic transform with immediate healing time as soon as she breaks contact with said object.

However, if she gains nothing from the ability, then I would rule it is merely a special effect.

Now...If this is also used as a Disad: Greatly Impairing, Always on - can't touch anything w/out it becoming a cartoon, then it shouldn't be worth any points if it can also be used to her advantage.

My 2 gp.

-T

No, mostly its just a side effect of her existence.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

"You are doomed to roam this land as a Bishoujo Charat!"

ROFL!

Sorry, mate. I swear, we're not knocking your character concept here. I think it's a really great idea. It's just that the humorous silliloque's that can accompany such a power are too tempting to pass up!

Just out of curiousity, what's the character like, personality wise? Is she a jokester? Is she ridiculously serious - like to the extreme of some Dragonball Z characters at times?

my 2 gp

-T

Guest Worldmaker

Actually, its my wife's character. This is from the Personality Notes portion of her character sheet:

"AniMae is, first and foremost, a Global Guardian. This one fact shapes all her relationships with other people, and, in fact, colors everything that she does. She is respectful to superiors, friendly with teammates, polite to 'civilians,' and calmly professional in the face of opponents who want to kill her. Everyone in the world, so far, has fallen into one of those four categories. The role she long ago took on has served her well as an anchor, in the wake of her loss of self, but has lately begun to feel inadequate. She has not, in the years since her transformation, had a genuine emotional relationship with anyone.

As for that transformation, AniMae tacitly ignores it when she can, and suppresses her feelings about it when she can't. Deep down, Ted is still monstrously unhappy.

Although her appearance suggests softness and comic relief, AniMae has proven to be a consummate soldier, proving her worth on the front lines again and again."

The trick to this character is that before the character gained his powers, he was male and didn't like anime all that much. Japanimation was more his girlfriend's forte. But then his "origin" occurred and suddenly he was a female cartoon who looks badly dubbed when she speaks.

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by TheTemplar

Awesome! I'm glad the bad dubbing got worked into the concept. Any particular anime artist who's work she resembles?

Going back to your previous post, if she gains no advantage or disad points from it, I would rule it a special effect of her existence.

My 2 gp

-T

No clue whatsoever, as my anime tastes run to "no anime". I've seen a couple of the movies, but it never caught with me.

Here's a few concepts that spring up all the time in anime/manga/tokustasu (live action sfx shows)...

(1) low gravity - people (especially the heroes) can make phenomenal leaps, as well as survive falls that should result in massive bone-breakage

(2) high blood pressure - hit someone with a sword or knife, and the blood literally fountains out; similarly, guys getting bloody noses when thinking dirty thoughts would normally die from such blood loss

(3) with great age comes great power - the older the character, the more powerful they are, but also smaller; the most unbeatable character in a given story is usually the very old man who's only about 12inches tall

Hope this helps.

-Yogzilla