Evil Dead meets Dali

mattingly

My superhero group has decided to brave the supermage's library. Kullervo, the mage, was the guardian of a set of powerful books, which he kept in a mystical dimension accessible from his library. This mantle of guardianship has been passed from supermage to supermage over generations. Talisman, DEMON, and other groups have been after these books for a long time. My mental image was of Ash's quest in Army Of Darkness, mixed in with some bizarre surreal Cthuloid dreamworld kind of stuff.

Recently, Kullervo's soul got trapped in a netherdimension, so the rest of the team, at Witchcraft's urging, is going to fetch the books to (a) prevent bad guys from getting it, and (B) try to retrieve their friend's soul from Hell.

Since decades and perhaps centuries of mages have put up various mystical defenses, tricks, traps, and guardians to keep these books safe, I'd like some suggestions from y'all about ways that the three-day journey might be frought with danger, or at least frought with something.

Re: Evil Dead meets Dali

I'd suggest looking at "Game of Death" for some inspiration on guardians (or a Teen Titans episode that aired a few months ago). Also, if it exists in a pocket dimension, perhaps the rules of time and space work differently. Maybe the heroes may encounter older versions of themselves, or perhaps future offspring. Perhaps the dimension reflects the owner's current state? When the heroes enter, maybe it's like entering Hell itself? Does the Mage have anyone that serves as a major domo? If so, perhaps in the mage's absence, the domo is trying to assert control and, as the heroes are trying to save the realm's true master, he wants to take the heroes down?

Hope it helps :)

Re: Evil Dead meets Dali

I see this quest as starting out with non-lethal physical tests (to stop without killing those who accidentally stumbled onto the place), to increasingly deadly physical tests (for those who won't turn back), then becomign a more mental/emotional journey, designed to get the characters to choose to give up and go home. Maybe a few tests of knowledge/intelligence to see if the intruder is worthy.

Entangling vines

Teleport traps back to the start

Teleport traps with monsters that threaten the character before sending them back home (scare them from coming back)

Immobilizing rings of fire

Spike traps

Assorted pits and tests of intelligence

Misdirection of the characters from their quest

Individual tests of character (using psych lims or other personality characteristics) to see if the characters are worthy of finding the books

Tests of loyalty vs. completing the mission

Tests to determine why the characters want the book

Tests of determination (torture/pain, etc.)

Tests to detect illusion