Book Of Amazing Talents (And Machines)

fredrik_nilsson

I had this thought, with almost every genre book release, a power book have been released. Fantasy Hero has two grimoire, and Champions have the Superpowers Database. From what I can see in release schedule, no such book is planned any time soon for Pulp Hero. Wouldn't it be nice if compile such a book in the forum? Hopefully some of our powers turn out good enough to either make its way into the upcoming Pulp Hero genre book, or better yet inspire the guys to produce a power book for Pulp Hero. Before anyone starts commenting on my idea I shall clarify what my vision of this little project looks like:

• Cross-Genre: To begin with, Pulp Fiction is more of an attitude (or maybe an era) than a genre, which makes it intersect with several other genre books areas. It would be interesting to see Pulp Sci-Fi powers, Pulp Fantasy magic, or Pulp Horror monster abilities.
  • Super-Skills: Second, the most common group of Pulp Hero powers would probably be Super-Skills.
  • Proto-Supers: As the genre book Champions notes, some Pulp Heroes were on the verge of being Superheroes. How would you handle this in game terms?
  • Mesmerism: I don't know if this warrants an own section, but hypnosis and similar supernatural powers (like magic) are quite common. Dare I mention the Shadow or Mandrake?
  • Super-Science: Naturally, the project mentioned above could be extended to include Pulp Hero equipment. Ray guns, jet packs, and eerie tomes are all examples of Pulp Hero equipment.

As a side note, tons of inspiration for this little project could be harvested from White Wolfs excellent book "Adventure!" (see the chapters about Knacks and Super-Science).

Re: Book Of Amazing Talents (And Machines)

I'm glad to see that you like my idea. Hopefully enough more people do, so that Steve & Co. become inspired to produce it. :)

What do you say, shall we try to create a some example powers? If some of these powers are good enough, they might even wind up in the final product.

For myself, I'm really not up to the task right now with so much RL stuff going on. I also think that the Pulp Resource Guide might (and in fact should) include at least some of this type of stuff -- I'm not sure it could warrant an entire book all on its own.

That said, if other folks here want to promote such a thread, I'd be happy to start contributing stuff when I can.

I guess that much of this will be covered by the Ultimate Skill, but as far as I know that book doesn't even have a release year assigned to it.

What is the status of the Pulp Hero genre book? Has there been any "what do you want to see"-topics on the forum? (I've been away from the forum for a few months).

I have a Pulp Hero campaign coming up in a few weeks. A few Pulp powers will be created for that campaign, and I might as well post them here. Hopefully someone else will do the same.