Time to learn skills.

Confusion

This is a question about some specific skills, but in general it's good to know.

Anyway, I have a character who has come across a spiffy magic sword. This makes two spiffy magic swords. Since the character is a brash youth, he wants to attempt to weild both of them. However, it's going to take an obnoxious number of points to get the +3 DCV back from the shield I'd be dropping.

So, the character is very martial (a knight in fact) and would be training in secret. How long in game would it take for the character to realize what the player knows. :) Given a 15 point overconfidence, I'm going to say like two months, practicing the new style for maybe an hour a day. And walking away with a WF: Off hand. Does this sound reasonable?

Re: Time to learn skills.

I'd say it would take as long as the time it takes to get beat around more than he used to with the shield. Maybe with the overconfidence it will take a little longer, but after a couple good thrashings even he will realize the shield is a good deal.

Of course, if he never does get beat up that bad, then you'll have time to build up that obnoxious amount of points....

Re: Time to learn skills.

Therein lies the problem.. spiffy magic sword #2 gives him +2 SPD and +6 OCV. As well as a bonus vs. undead. Spiffy Magic Sword #1 is +4 OCV and has a massive bonus vs. undead, it is also intelligent and really likes killing undead and dragons. Needless to say, the sword really likes the idea.

So, undead aside I am at a minimum of +7 OCV (with combat levels) and act almost twice as often as everyone else. He might get hit, but opponents do not stand for long.

Crap.. I really wanted to raise my endurance too.. ugh.