Healing....

Rick

This is more about sharing my ideas on healing than asking questions. There are always questions about how to avoid D&D healing in Fantasy hero, heres how I deal with it:

Starwars (This really is just fantasy), I never allow more than 2d6 healing aid to be immediate on the spot. Besides that Jedi healing can be much more dice but always have gradual effects so that it'll take several days or atleast many hours to heal fully. Bacta is a 1 body regen every couple of hours. There is no medical or force means known that can regenerate dismembered body parts.

In my Homebrew Fantasy world: People who are given the gifts to perform miracles are truly a rare thing, 98% of any clergy are mundane priests and preistess. The Sisters of Hern are a very small group devoted to the Goddess Hern (the Breather of Life). Though other gods chosen can lay hands and save lives their abilities would never be seen as anything approaching the sisters (never more than 3d6 healing aid available immediatly, just enough to save lives). Only the Sisterhood knows the words, prayers and remedies that can repair grievous wounds, cure malities and poisons, heal the mind and remove the lasting effects of the most heinous of injures.

They use Transforms for the Curing deseases and blindness type things, with verbal and foci aspects usually in small dice quantities and cumulative effects.

For the healing of Grevious wounds they use large dice healing aid powers with gradual effects. They however have to attend to the patient regularly or the healing will stop at whatever point they leave off. In younger less experienced sisters they've a sideeffect to these powers that adds a fade rate to any healing that they stop in process. Where as under normal circumstances it cold take months to come back from the brink of death and a person may never be right again, the sisters can have a patient back on their feet in a matter of weeks and they'd be good as new.

I've also played around with the idea of making these big healing powers a recover aid only to increase the amount of body recovered over a month or regeneration that takes a day or so per body. The sisters can regen linbs as well, but resurection takes they're highest sister convening atleast 5 of her peers and besieging her godess directly (i.e. A Favor).

All of this is to make combat a dangerous way out of situations. I want my PC's to fight and be heroic I also want them to be smart. They'll realize that injuries aren't healed the next day by a rested preist but if they can find help (big if, depending on where they are) it'll still take atleast a day or so and often weeks in game time to get back on they're feet. They may have to suck it up on occassion and press on without healing...

Hell for fun critic the outline of my healing strategies and/or post your own.

Guest taustin

Re: Healing....

I've always wanted to try a game where clerical healing only works before you actually examine the patient. In other words, you get in a fight, get knocked around real good, and before the priest tends your wounds, he utters a little prayer. Then discovers that most of that blood is really someone else's.

Re: Healing....

In the setting I'm working on, most clerics just use the same magic as wizards, if any magic at all.

The thing that makes them clerical is their devotion to the Goddesses and their power to repel the undead. That, and a whole lot of background skills in cleric-ish things, like healing, oration, and the like.