"Double Damage" restriction w/ Martial arts in Champion Games

GrayPumpkin

I’m coming back to hero after a long absence and I’m still getting used to the 5th ed rules. I'm thinking about starting up a Champions game and one thing I was wondering is how folks feel about using the optional rule to allow the damage added from the basic Martial Maneuvers to count as base DC’s in Superhero/Champions games, thus avoiding the “double damage†restriction.

Re: "Double Damage" restriction w/ Martial arts in Champion Games

It doesn't bother me. Champions games involve larger-than-life martial artists doing things real martial artists, and even cinematic martial artist at times, never dreamed of. In most cased the additional damage is really not that great anyway and seldom adds to more than an additional 1-3d6.

I agree, the double damage rule is mainly to prevent heroic level characters from getting 13d6 spin kicks.

In the superheroic genre (and some wuxia for that matter) martial artists are able to shatter steel casually and bring down mountainsides with a solid kick.

In a world like that, there is no reason for damage caps.

As far as Normal Damage goes, sure. In fact, isn't that the standard, in superheroic games?

But for killing damage, I wouldn't lift the double damage cap unless I lifted it for non-martial-artists as well. Both or none.