What is being asked of new Hero Players? A constructive criticism thread.

KA.

Re: What is being asked of new Hero Players? A constructive criticism thread.

Let's see, what is this going to cost me:

$9.99 +

$29.99 +

$21.99 +

$24.99 +

$24.99

---------

$111.95

I started with the original Hero game played it for a few years, and loved it. Went away and now back again. My biggest hurdle with the new rules finding the differences and getting used to the new book. No biggie.

All you really need is the main rule set of rules. all the other books are helper guides if you don;t want to put forth the imagination or work to create NPC team members, villains, things and places for your game. So if you look at it the expense is not so great, especially compared to D&D where you MUST buy a players handbook, monster manual, and DM guide just to start.

This game is by far cheaper, and quite frankly, has cleaner combat and better written rules by a mile.

Re: What is being asked of new Hero Players? A constructive criticism thread.

My view is this

HERO is humongous, both in size and scope.

As compared to D and D HERO costs about the same.

50 bucks for HERO, another 40 to 60 for supplements. Bang, you can GM a world and with a little bit of experience you can start to create your own worlds.

Sizewise and costwise they are about the same. Buying them from Amazon, used, or in auctions you can get them for 40 to 50 dollars, maybe 10 or 15 dollars more if you pay retail. 640 pages versus 594 for HERO, but they have a lot of room taken up by indexes. Thats all fine and dandy, but you can't do dick without a Monster Manual, thats another 20 to 25 bucks. Get the HERO Bestiary and you're even. Moneywise you're about even too, with a 15 to 25 dollar edge to Dungeons and Dragons. But HERO is so much more flexible. No core classes, you can be anything, from a hardboiled detective to a demigod. furthermore, you can do just about any setting you put your mind to but D and D forces you to run fantasy. Want to spice it up with Eberron or Forgotten Realms and thats another 25 to 30 dollars.