My Martial Arts characters

Herolover

Re: My Martial Arts characters

This character uses the Eagle style Kung Fu. I want him to be very quick as far as speed, but a general fighter otherwise.

Version 0.9

Eagle Claw

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
17 DEX 21
15 CON 10
10 BODY 0
15 INT 5
13 EGO 6
13 PRE 3
14 COM 2
5 PD 2
5 ED 2
4/5 SPD 13
8 REC 4
30 END 0
33 STUN 8
6" RUN02" SWIM02 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 79

Cost Power END
Ch'i Powers
4 1) Wings of the Eagle: Gliding 4", Position Shift, combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4) (11 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) 2
7 2) Quickness of the Eagle: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 1
5 3) Without a Trace: Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) for up to 12 Active Points of Running (12 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2) 4
8 4) Eyes of the Eagle: (Total: 16 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) +5 PER with Sight Group (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) (Real Cost: 5) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (6 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) (Real Cost: 3) 2
13 5) Ch'i' Aid: Aid END 3d6 (30 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 37

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Eagle Claw Style Kung Fu
5 1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
4 2) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 6 1/2d6 Strike
4 3) Knife Hand: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1 1/2d6
4 4) Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 38 STR vs. Grabs
3 5) Joint Lock/Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 33 STR for holding on
4 6) Tien-hsueh Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND
4 7) Eagle Claw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 8 1/2d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
8 8) +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
1 9) Weapon Element: Blades
1 10) Weapon Element: Hook Sword
1 11) Weapon Element: Polearms
1 12) Weapon Element: Staffs
1 13) Weapon Element: Three-Section Staff
1 14) Weapon Element: Wind and Fire Wheels
Martial Arts Cost: 42

Cost Skill
9 +3 with Martial Maneuvers
3 Acrobatics 12-
3 Acting 12-
3 Breakfall 12-
5 Contortionist 13-
5 KS: EagleClaw Style Kung Fu 14-
3 KS: Kung Fu 12-
3 KS: Chinese Healing 12-
3 KS: Chinese Philosophy 12-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 PS: Merchant 12-
3 Trading 12-
10 WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Hook Sword, Off Hand, Three-Section Staff, Wind and Fire Wheels
Skills Cost: 56

Cost Perk
6 Contact: Sifu (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 11-
Perks Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 220

Val Disadvantages
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
10 Distinctive Features: Ch'i Signature (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
10 Distinctive Features: Martial Arts Style (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of Kung Fu (Common, Strong)
5 Reputation: Members of the _______ School, 8-
5 Rivalry: Professional (School of __________; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
5 Quirks

Disadvantage Points: 50

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 20

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Well, after getting a chance to look at all of them together now I have some more random thoughts.

The range of Speeds might be tweaked just a bit. I would try to go with an average of 4 for everyone and only force the toughest (probably Bear) to keep a 3. That way you only have Eagle's player getting 2 extra actions on just 1 other player. And since you may get some players unfamiliar with Hero's Speed Chart the simpler the better.

Regarding all the characters I notice that almost all of them have the following:

1. <>Block AND Dodge
  2. 2(+) extra Damage Classes
  3. ~15 points in weapon familiarities and elements
  4. Ch'i' Aid to END

1. In most cases just buying one is better in the long run. Remember, Block is really only better if you are using a weapon that has a built in bonus to OCV or you have a lower than average DEX and Block is the only way you can 'win' initiative on your opponent. That extra 4-5 points can be better used towards 3 point levels.
  2. I would try to limit it down to about 2-3 characters that have an extra Damage Classes. Besides, if you also funnel these points into more 3 point levels, they can have fun choosing whether to use them on OCV, DCV or to increase Damage.
  3. I would pull back on the number of weapon elements and maybe even familiarities as these are still suposed to be students. This would help by letting you give each character 1 or 2 unique weapon skills from the rest. (Although Pole Arm Guy seems like he would really be up the creek without some type of stick!)
  4. I wonder how often low END will really come up in the game considering that you will probably have less than 6 hours for total game and most combats take less than 3-4 turns (or take forever!). This is moot if you have some plot brewing that has them running all over the country side at breakneck speeds though.

<>I wonder if there is a way to display the details of each of the weapons stats on the character sheets including how much damage they would do based on STR min, Martial Strike damage and Extra Damage Classes? Or is that more details than Steve L. and DOJ want us to post on the board maybe?!

Eagle Claw has a grab but no follow up crush to go along with it. The gliding power looks interesting but seems limited as writen since the character does not have any extra leaping to gain altitude with first.

White Eye Brow would probably do better to spend the Damage Reduction points on DCV levels instead.

going back to my early suggestion on the original thread:

• Bear Style-Levels commited to increase damage
  • Eagle Claw-grab based
  • White Crane-Levels commited to DCV, repeated attacks without dodging
  • Shaolin Styles:
    • Crane Style-NND(1) strike
    • Leopard Style-Levels commited to OCV
    • Snake Style-advanced Crane
    • Tiger Style-very broad

I like the ones that you used so far but Eagle and Bear seem allfully similar to one another (in UMA at least). I was hoping to see a Monkey or White Crane as one of the oddball fits too. You might want to make a couple of extra characters anyway to see what makes the best 6-man team. You could even have the extra's that are not chosen by the players be captured NPC's in the story.

I hope my critiques aren't too much as I wan't you to know I really like what you've done so far.

HM

Your replies is just the kind of alternate thinking I am looking for. I reallly appreciate it.

One of the things I am having trouble with is where to spend points. I will will have to look at the characters, but I see Block as one of the the more basic abilities of a Martial artist. I will think about the Dodge-Block thing.

Polearm guy can always rely on his martial arts since he doesn't have to have a spear or "stick." However, I don't see a situation coming up where he will be without his "stick"

The players are "students," but they are very close to being finished. Kind of "all you need is one more test" thing. Think Obi-Wan in the Star Wars Episode I.

I was initially going to go with Crane style, but one of my problems, as I stated, is coming up with powers and special abilities. I really felt I tried and finally used Eagle because I knew I could do more. Eagle's glide power isn't really gliding. It is just that he has the ability to land without hurting himself. Think of it as a very advanced form of Breakfall.

I really like the idea of White Eyebrow with DCV levels and not Damage Reduction. Will be using that thanks.

I didn't use monkey or drunken because I felt they were kind of comedic.

As far as the appearance of the writeups I am sure you can post anything. The reason I posted them the way I did is because I use Hero Designer and the only HERO Board export template I have creates the output you see.

The only other way I know to do it would be to type them in by hand (egads).

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to thanke everyone for the comments they left me on these characters. The final version were very close to the versions above with some slight tweaks.

My convention adventure went off very well and everyone said they really liked it.