Design Help Needed - How to BUild The LOSV's NEMESIS KID?

Vigil

Guest WhammeWhamme

Re: Design Help Needed - How to BUild The LOSV's NEMESIS KID?

Duo Damsel also defeated the djinn Kantuu after he'd been accidentally released' date=' and the rest of the Legion got trashed trying to stop him. (The last time Kantuu had been bottled up, it had taken [i']the Guardians of the Universe[/i] to stop him...)

:D

Uh... how?

I've never seen his first appearance but that's handy to know. The question is' date=' however, why the hell didn't he just adapt the strength of two men, lol?[/quote']

He could have - against a pair of normal girls. He picks one, adapts, and clobbers her. But against Duo Damsel, he was out of luck, because she's simultaneously one person *and* two, neither a single opponent he can clobber, nor multiple opponents he colud adapt to one at a time.

I remember when Matter Eater Lad (why don't we see names like that anymore :nonp: ) ate the miracle machine (I think it was called) and literally blew his mind to save the universe. Plus Brainy went cuckoo a couple of times. They should have just let Duo Damsel handle it.

I think one of the best stories ever about Legionaires being hindered by their powers happened in a back up story by Shooter and Grell where Prtojectra had contracted some sort of hideous space STD or something and was going to die from the fever. Brainy constructed a machine which allowed the pain to be transfered but feared it would kill whoever used it. So, natch, Supes shows up and says that his invulnerability will allow him to process the pain. The twist came when he realized that his invulnerability didn't allow him to absorb the pain, it prevented him from doing so. In the end KK absorbed all of the pain and processed it by mediatating. Great story! :)

Actually, not quite. A number of Legionnaires took the pain in one-hour shifts. Karate Kid only took one shift. The pain increased each hour, too, to it got increasingly harder to deal with.

Once again, it's Duo Damsel that saved the day! :D She took the last shift -- the greatest pain, the pain no one had ever survived. She remarked "United I fall, divided we stand!" and split...subdividing the pain between her two selves, thus enabling Projectra to survive and keeping Karate Kid from sacrificing himself by taking the killing final shift as he'd intended to do (even though he'd already taken one of the earlier shifts).

It's that sort of clever thinking that I really enjoy, making a seemingly "useless" power into a real asset under the right circumstances. Just like the incident with the djinn...since Duo Damsel had been one of those responsible for opening his bottle, he had to obey her. When split, she presented him with an ultimatum...he could either obey the one giving him the order to re-enter his bottle (which Bouncing Boy had already commanded him to re-created), or strike her down...but at that same moment her other self would be giving him an order to turn his power on himself, meaning his own destruction. He couldn't stop both orders at once, so he went with the one that didn't lead to his own extermination.

I believe she did it with a wish, but I am not sure now. Kantuu had great cosmic power, itty bitty brain space.

CES

Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy opened the djinn's prison bottle unwittingly. The Guardian's forced the djinn to repay there freedom by granting three 'wishes'. Kantuu was going to destroy her but she duplacated and ordered him to recreate his prison and then stated (because the nature of Kantuu's powers) that if one of herselves died the other would wish Kantuu out of existance. He chose re-imprisonment over suicide. :rolleyes:

I really needed a life in the 80's :straight:

Guest WhammeWhamme

Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy opened the djinn's prison bottle unwittingly. The Guardian's forced the djinn to repay there freedom by granting three 'wishes'. Kantuu was going to destroy her but she duplacated and ordered him to recreate his prison and then stated (because the nature of Kantuu's powers) that if one of herselves died the other would wish Kantuu out of existance. He chose re-imprisonment over suicide. :rolleyes:

I really needed a life in the 80's :straight:

What exactly IS the nature of Kantuu's powers?

He could have - against a pair of normal girls. He picks one' date=' adapts, and clobbers her. But against Duo Damsel, he was out of luck, because she's simultaneously one person *and* two, neither a single opponent he can clobber, nor multiple opponents he colud adapt to one at a time.[/quote']

As a previous poster said. Against more than one foe, his power didn't work. If I remember correctly, it would give him the ability to escape if he was outnumbered, but he had to be fighting one on one to get a combat power.

Hence the name 'Nemesis Kid'.

What exactly IS the nature of Kantuu's powers?
He's a djinn, formed of smokeless fire (high-energy plasma), bound by the Guardians of the Universe to perform three services (grant three wishes) to the ones who free him. The Guardians had hoped that their imprisonment and subsequent servitude would teach the djinn the need for humility and self-restraint. It didn't work with Kantuu.

I remeber seeing the Kantu issue in question and I'm sure I have it but I don't think I ever read it given the seriously terrible art. Plus I gravitated a lot more (at the time) to Wildfire, Timber Wolf , OB and especially Mon El. It always cheesed me that Mon was never the featured Legionannire. It was alwys stupid Lightning Lad or dopery Saturn Girl. I'm still bitter about it.