Persistant Missile Deflection/Reflection?

Rerednaw

I have a question regarding Missile Deflection/Reflection. It is essentially a block that works with ranged attacks. What if I want a Missile Deflection/Reflection that works automatically, as a continuous effect, without requiring the maneuver? (for those of you who play GURPS, think of the Reverse Missile spell).

Or say a missile deflection that works on all thrown objects (intense gravity field, windstorm, etc.) This is a continuous effect and doesn't require the hero to react to each attack.

Anyone?

Cheers.

Re: Persistant Missile Deflection/Reflection?

Originally posted by Rerednaw

I have a question regarding Missile Deflection/Reflection. It is essentially a block that works with ranged attacks. What if I want a Missile Deflection/Reflection that works automatically, as a continuous effect, without requiring the maneuver?

There were several 4th edition characters with this effect. Metalla from Classic Organization is the one who always springs to mind when this topic comes up.

Missile Deflection is a Constant Power, so adding the Uncontrolled Advantage will allow it to function without conscious effort. But as per the description of the Advantage, there needs to be a relatively common way to deactivate it.

Someone else on this (or the old) board mentioned requiring a single Deflection roll during a Phase and that roll was used for all attacks that Phase if there is more than one, rather than a seperate Deflection roll for each attack.

e.g. A character is attacked and rolls a 15 for their Missile Deflection. They are attacked twice more during the Phase and their rolls are automatically 13 and 11.

You can build something that approximates this with the Trigger and/or Uncontrolled advantages -- but be warned it can get out of hand. Buy enough +OCV's and it quickly becomes "invulnerability to ranged non-area powers".

Another good way to do it is via the "combat luck" mechanic -- buy armor/force field, with a limitation based on the fact that it's only usable against attacks the character is aware of and could logically dodge or block (-1/2 IMO).