a new stargate game

Wolf

I’m working on a Stargate sg-1 Hero game, yah I know original ain’t it? But I wanted to bounce it off of you all before I hammered more into it. As far as the packages and so forth I’ve done a fair job, I run really skill heavy, and know this, I have redone the skill list for Hero, and as such much of the packages, though most aren’t where I’d like them to be yet… so I’ll keep those. Needless to say it’s still looking like a total of 350 points for most Characters, but I’ll probably be going the route of 300 base, and 50 with disadvantages…. Again due to the skill packages I have a “crapload†of disads already into each character. I mean just to make a character with a Bachelors Degree one is looking at 40 character points, and you need that just to get the officer package, Academy package (for if you got it through one of the military academies), and branch specific packaging. So if you all would like to see some of the work I’ve done, then I’ll post it later…. But on to the point.

I was a little worried about the trappings of running a game that came from something so explored as Stargate, so I decided to alter the setting in my way…

Being that The group of SG-1 have explored almost all of the Egyptian mythos, I decided to look to a similar culture, and have my team open the world of Aztec mythos… similar enough structure I might even be able to push another gate onto our world. Now I can feel free to explore this universe without major interruption, or crossover to the SG-1 team.

I also have increased the team to a normal operators team in 8- 16 man groups, as the ideal SG-# size with a alphabetic designator to denote a smaller unit… IE SG-1 would really be a combination of SG-1 and SG-2, but it would be called SG-1a (alpha), and SG-1b (bravo). SG-1b would be for all intents and purposes what the show calls SG-2. and together they make up the 8 man SG-1. My group I have yet to name, but they will be part of a 16 man action SG-#, the Major is a Delta operator, and the Capt. is a SEAL team 6 operator, so they are a bit of a door kicker unit. Sure they can do the snoop and poop missions but they focus on kicking open urban doors and rescue. The only other player on this one is my girlfriend and she’s playing pretty much a Sam Carter clone (pilot, Physics, math geek) and I’ll be running the Anthro geek, and rest of the team… probably mostly taken from Air Farce combat control and Tactical Air Control Parties.

I don’t know, that’s most of what I have so far, I will be spending the next week or so working on the packages, though I do have a rough outline of them, and pretty much all the skills down, just no description of said skills, mostly rips from other systems in my collection.

what do ya'll think?

Re: a new stargate game

If you're really worried about the Stargate universe being mined out, do what I (would) do if I were starting a Stargate game. Treat the canon universe as a buffet. Take what you like, leave the rest, and start your players out at an earlier point in the series.

For instance, I'd jettison the replicators--I never liked them. You could lose to a system lord once in a while and still survive; the replicators are an all-or-nothing foe. You defeat them--ALL of them--or you lose. Period. And they ought to have been both a) smaller (nanotech) and B) bigger (i.e., assembling themsleves into a far greater variety of forms). By the time you realize you've got a problem, it's way too late to hope to deal with it. So...no replicators in my SG-1 universe.

If you pick and choose what you're going to keep, it puts the players back in the position of not knowing what the universe might throw at them. Which is good.

I like the Aztec idea. If the goa'uld truly had such high tech when they ran Egypt, how likely is it that they never explored--and stole ideas from--other cultures? Besides, think how much fun it'll be for your PCs to discover that Apophis is locked in a death-duel with a rival system lord named...Quetzecoatl?