Another Deadly blow variant

Tywyll

I've been toying with Deadly Blow. I like the concept, especially the limited versions of it, but don't like it as presented in the rules. So, I came up with this build using Succor rather than Aid:

Deadly Blow:

Succor 5d6 to HKA, 25 AP, Standard Effect (15) +0, Trigger +1/4 (attacking target, resets with half phase action). Total AP: 31

OIF: -1/2

Self Only: -1/2

Points Fade Immediately After attack: -1/2

RC: 12/10/7

END Cost: 3

It would boil down to costing 3 END a phase you wanted to use it, on top of the cost to swing your weapon, representing the mighty effort it took to swing the weapon for extra damage. Also, to keep it going, you would have to use a full phase to attack, 1/2 phase to reset your trigger (perhaps focusing on the foe) and then 1/2 phase to attack. So, unlike the normal Deadly Blow build it would keep the character pinned down, and spending more endurance than normal. And it would cost more: 7, 10, or 12. Ok, not much more, but still, it has limitations that the other form lacked. It also has the wierd effect of adding points to both of a dual weapon fighters attacks (at least I think it does) since attacking twice is simply a Sweep. I could be wrong about that.

Thoughts?

Re: Another Deadly blow variant

Well, I really hate Deadly Blow as presented - it's a hideous kludge that fits nowhere in the Hero system. This, on the other hand looks fine :)

I allow a similar power in my game but without the "fades immediately after attack" which allows a character to go into a flurry of deadly blows (seems like a better use of points).

Did I mention, I really, really hate Deadly Blow?

Cheers, Mark

Thanks for the input Markdoc,

I added the "points fade" thing because part of the way Succor is worded implies that if they kept spending points on it every phase, it would continue to stack. I am not certain if that is correct, but it says you can ignore the adjustment power cap by continuing to activate the power and spending End. This way, the power activates, they attack, and it then goes away. It also forces them to spend another half phase to activate it again (resetting the trigger), which is basically what I wanted (my sneaky way of getting around the fact that Succor and Aid both use an Attack action, preventing the player from swinging with their buffed attack).

So you think this version is ok?

Sure, this version looks fine. Abuse-free and should do exactly what you want it to.

Another option, generally preferred by my players because it's simpler, is to just buy HKA and then modify it. So for example, Reyvius the Ghostkiller has:

2d6 HKA, OIF (weapon of opportunity , -1/2), only versus undead (-3/4), requires a KS: undead roll (-1/2), cannot add more than 1d6 to weapon's normal damage. Active/Real cost (30/10).

Note that since there's no STR min, he can do up to 3d6 with his STR of 13 - as long as he's using a weapon that would normally do at least 2d6. Slightly more expensive but he can use this all the time, so as long as he can identify the monster he is fighting.

cheers, Mark

I've been toying with Deadly Blow. I like the concept, especially the limited versions of it, but don't like it as presented in the rules. So, I came up with this build using Succor rather than Aid:

Deadly Blow:

Succor 5d6 to HKA, 25 AP, Standard Effect (15) +0, Trigger +1/4 (attacking target, resets with half phase action). Total AP: 31

OIF: -1/2

Self Only: -1/2

Points Fade Immediately After attack: -1/2

RC: 12/10/7

END Cost: 3

It would boil down to costing 3 END a phase you wanted to use it, on top of the cost to swing your weapon, representing the mighty effort it took to swing the weapon for extra damage. Also, to keep it going, you would have to use a full phase to attack, 1/2 phase to reset your trigger (perhaps focusing on the foe) and then 1/2 phase to attack. So, unlike the normal Deadly Blow build it would keep the character pinned down, and spending more endurance than normal. And it would cost more: 7, 10, or 12. Ok, not much more, but still, it has limitations that the other form lacked. It also has the wierd effect of adding points to both of a dual weapon fighters attacks (at least I think it does) since attacking twice is simply a Sweep. I could be wrong about that.

Thoughts?

I used a really similar approach in 4th edition for my Norse Undead Hunter... it works well.

I however, DO like Deadly Blow...its a clean rule for those of us who have always had issues with the lethality of some weapons.

Try making a competent version of Vlad Taltos or the Grey Mouser (either of whom should be able to reliably take down an oppponent with one shot from a stilleto) without it and you begin to see monsterous kludge jobs involving assassins martial arts, extra DC, and weapon elements, along with Targeting levels, and, and, and....