Hypnosis in Dark Champions

Sociotard

Two questions:

1) Hypnosis is pretty popular in many actiony TV shows and movies, and while not as powerful as its made out to be (because the target has to be willing), it has real world effects. Do you think Hypnosis should be permited in the average DC game?

2) Fifth edition writes it up with Mind Control, but does that handel all the applications? Or should it really be a multipower of some kind? Issues that raise this point:

a) One of the most popular uses is "Go back to the night of April 3rd, at 9:00 PM. Where are you?", which seems like some kind of clairsentience build.

B) Most real world hypnotists make their bread and butter with habit breaking commands like "Stop Smoking", which seems more like a mental transform

c) A lot of the effects sound like they have some sort of advantage on them, like Hypnotizing the whole crowd (did it at my high school. Area of effect?) or "Whenever I say the word 'Astronomy' you will go into a deep sleep" (trigger)

Re: Hypnosis in Dark Champions

I'd say why not allow hypnosis? First off the GM can do some research and make sure the effects are "real" - keeping the limitations such that it doesn't go over the top.

I would not call a retrogression hypnosis a clairsentience as the person being hypnotised is still only able to give his/her view of what happened and what he/she saw. Clairsentience (to me) implies that the person using the power gets to look for themselves. Hypnosis may help tell if a crook was wearing a red hat or not - but it still wont' let you know what the crook did that was not observed.

As for the transform - hypnosis does't always work or stick. If it did there would be a lot fewer smokers and overweight people around! It does HELP though. I wonder if it couldn't be a sort of aid power to memory or willpower of the subject?

Now as for what the military or some other organization could do wtih hypnosis - I don't know (the Manchurian candidate comes to mind). Again it's up to the GM in my view to allow or not - and allow to what extent. Were I GMing DC I think I'd give it a go.

Re: Hypnosis in Dark Champions

Two questions:

1) Hypnosis is pretty popular in many actiony TV shows and movies, and while not as powerful as its made out to be (because the target has to be willing), it has real world effects. Do you think Hypnosis should be permited in the average DC game?

In general, yes, because of the real world effects you mention.

2) Fifth edition writes it up with Mind Control, but does that handel all the applications? Or should it really be a multipower of some kind? Issues that raise this point:

a) One of the most popular uses is "Go back to the night of April 3rd, at 9:00 PM. Where are you?", which seems like some kind of clairsentience build.

B) Most real world hypnotists make their bread and butter with habit breaking commands like "Stop Smoking", which seems more like a mental transform

c) A lot of the effects sound like they have some sort of advantage on them, like Hypnotizing the whole crowd (did it at my high school. Area of effect?) or "Whenever I say the word 'Astronomy' you will go into a deep sleep" (trigger)

Call Hypnosis the FX for whatever Mental Powers would be appropriate to the campaign, with appropriate Limitations to reflect the real-world requirements for hypnotism. This allows a range of real-to-cinematic effects as appropriate to the campaign.