A New Look at Martial Arts

Gary

Re: A New Look at Martial Arts

Rummaging through the crud-pile that is my room, I came across (among other things that don't relate) my list of "all" the maneuvers. I say "all" because at the time I didn't realize that some of the martial art styles had slightly tweaked versions from the ones listed at the front of the book. Also, this was 4th Ed, but I don't think there were enough changes to the maneuvers to matter. Regardless, in this list I included my 0-point maneuvers to fill out the slots that seemed to just appear on the Martial Arts Maneuvers list. Without further ado...

Ear Clap....1/2.....0.....-1.....-1.....1d6 Hearing Group Flash

Eye Jab.....1/2.....0.....-1.....-1.....1d6 Sight Group Flash

Trip........1/2.....0.....-1.....-1.....v/5; Target Falls

I also have a list of someone's House Rules for getting the Elements out of the Optional Maneuvers listed in reFREd; pretty elegant solution, I thought, looking at the maneuvers as an algebraic equation and figuring out what everything you can define is worth, leaving the unknown.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A New Look at Martial Arts

Since I didn't want to reply to myself, I thought I would throw this in seperately.

The idea occured to me as a neat little way to justify a cost break to martial art "tricks". Let the value of the maneuvers (or the value divided by 2) you've purchased (plus Extra DCs and/or CSLs, if you want) count as an EC base. I've noticed a lot of "martial artists" actually only buy about 30 points or less of maneuvers. So long as you limit the things that can be called martial arts tricks carefully, you shouldn't get overwhelmed.