Champions: New Millennium

sachmo

Originally posted by JmOz

HOWEVER, I know that many gaming stores BELEIVED it was to be 5th edition (note I am refering to the 1st edition of C:NM here, not the second), now this might have been just bad communication, but at the time the internet was in it's infancy and accurate gaming information was far and in between for the consummer.

Although not an insider I was on the site at that time and kept a small ear to what was going on. From people I talked to (online and real life) that was the big thing about Fuzion. The former owners said "We're coming out with 5th," Fuzion came out with a big "vol 5 #1" on it's cover and people went "This is 5th? It's not what we were promised!" and therefore raised a stink about it. This was at a time that not only was this board around but so were 2-3 Hero/Champion's egroups, an irc channel for Hero, and a good numbered websites. The problem was there wasn't all that many internet uses at the time. Out of 8 gamers only 4 of us had net access. And even then I belive me and one other person checked the site/forums ever few days to see what was going on.

I honestly think that's why Fuzion got the bad rap it did. A lot of people looked at it as a replacement for 5th and not on it's own. It's a good lesson in how not to market something. IMHO if it had come out as a core book called HeroLite, then a supplement called Champion's:NM it would've gone over a lot more with people. Also if it had been made plain in the book that it wasn't ment to be Hero 5 it would've gone better.

As I've said before. I read the rules, I own the books. To me it's a "what if champion's were written by Image?" but I'm a lil biased at that. If you look back when they were printed Image was still on top and Marvel had signed Liefield and Lee to do Heroes Reborn.