Entangle that stops Hearing

Kyle A.

Re: Entangle that stops Hearing

It's up to the GM to decide based on the special effects. Webbing in the ears might not have anything to do with whether or not the character can still talk. A darkness field cancels all sound. Entangles with stops hearing seem to be more ear-based than tongue, IMO.

IMO, the limitation's value comes from the fact that the power needs to be heard by the target, not the caster, to be effective. If the target can't hear the incantation then it can't effect him. It doesn't matter if the caster can hear it or not.

I'd also point out that many entangles would block incantation without needing to buy stops a sense just as a gag would. It all depends on the special effects of the attack. A bolo won't stop them, and sticky web to the face probably would.

IMO, the limitation's value comes from the fact that the power needs to be heard by the target, not the caster, to be effective. If the target can't hear the incantation then it can't effect him. It doesn't matter if the caster can hear it or not.

I'd also point out that many entangles would block incantation without needing to buy stops a sense just as a gag would. It all depends on the special effects of the attack. A bolo won't stop them, and sticky web to the face probably would.

Eh? So a simple and all-effective way to counter an opponent wizard's spells is to stuff earplugs in your own ears? No. I say the Limitation is one that makes it reasonably obvious to anyone within earshot that the caster is casting a spell (or at least doing something obviously strange), unless unusual preventative measures are taken. An added detriment is that if the wizard is unable to emit the highly audible incantations at all, (s)he cannot cast the spell.

If a wizard were using a long-range spell and simply out of earshot of the target, I'd say the spell could still work. If the wizard had a silence (Darkness to the Sound Group) with a Hole in the Middle up, or had earplugs on him/herself, I'd say they could still cast (though I might personally have the wizard make a Per roll or Magic roll or something if they can't hear their own voice--it might make the casting more difficult). If they had Invisibility to hearing up, had a silence (without Hole in the Middle) around them, had a gag in their mouth, or had just eaten peanut butter, I'd say they couldn't. I agree that it is highly SFX and common-sense dependent.

When I said "heard by the target" I was meaning it needs to be obvious to the target that something strange is happening. The target needs a chance to use the limitation against the caster in some fashion. If the wizard casts the spell 5 miles away every time then it's not really a limitation, IMO. :)