Recharging Power Armor

GreenLagoon

In my first champions game last night, there was a character that had a power armor (theorizing that he got it in prior military service). Here is how he built the power. I was wondering what you all thought of it and if you all would do it any differently.

30 Armor (10 PD / 20 ED) for 45 real points.

-1.0 Ablative (body or stun)

-1 Charges (4 per day, out of combat only)

(45 / 3) = 15

It was interesting. I think he was trying to mimic Master Chief from Halo, with a limited number of recharges to keep the cost down.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan

Re: Recharging Power Armor

If you put charges on armor it would only work 4 times and then stop working. So it would be ok for 4 hits and then be useless. I would just go with the ablative and leave it at that.

Worse than that, actually. Charges on a defensive power only work for a segment, so he’d have to choose which four segments, during the whole day, he’d get the armor bonus. Probably not what you’re thinking of.

Actually, I’m not sure what effect you were looking for. Did you WANT the character to have only four ‘suit-ups’ with the armor, period?

Ablative means that it’ll start being chipped away every time it’s ‘penetrated,’ which makes a certain amount of sense for armor, but it’s going to make him very vulnerable, very quickly. At the second hit, it could fail him completely. Also, having all your resistant defenses with an activation roll can lead to tragic, hilarious, results.

This might work a little better. (You forgot a ‘Focus’ limitation in the one you posted, as well)

10 (15) Mesh Undersuit 5 PD/5ED Armor, OIF (-1/2)

10 (30) External Armor Plates 5PD/15 ED Armor, Activation 14- (-1/2), Ablative (-1), OAF (-1/2)

If you’re feeling generous, you might let him tack on an extra ‘can only be repaired at an armor shop at great expense’ disadvantage on top of the second layer, as well. Note that the top layer now STARTS at 14- and goes down from there, but trust me, it’s much better to have that with the ‘underwear’ than without.

Now, you mentioned ‘powered armor.’ At the moment, there’s no batteries needed. If the power actually adds to the defense, you might want to use a force field with an end reserve or continuing charges instead of the ablative layer. If it does other things, like boost the wearer’s strength or jumping distance, you’ll have to add that as well.

--

I had a character with Ablative Comliness once . . .

Re: Recharging Power Armor

As his outer flesh was shot away, it was revealed he was a HIDIOUS CYBORG!!!! (dah dah dah!!!)

As opposed to normal people taking damage, that leaves them exactly as good looking as they were before their nose was broken and they were vomiting blood.

Hey, it only saved a point. And it amused the GM.

--

Player 1: “Is there anyone suspicious looking?â€

GM: “Ah, there’s a one-eyed ronin in the back coughing up blood.†(Player 2)