spell limitation

swobeas

Hi!

I am currently working on a new magic system in which mages buy a cosmic VPP and don't have tp pay points for the spells they learn.

I would like to have your suggestions for the value of a limitation for the controll cost of the pool. The limitations reads: "character must know the spell to cast it".

To learn a spell a source of information is needed, the character must have a knowledge skill in the appropriate school the spell is from, he must make a successfull roll on his KS and he has to invest time. I am planing 1 day of learning per 5 active points in the spell.

The number of spells the character is able to learn is control cost x 2.

My actual concept is a -1 1/2 limitation for all this but I would like to hear your opinions.

Re: spell limitation

Costing out a magic system is all about creating the balance you are looking for. It isn't about finding "correct" limitation values. You need to figure out how much you want mages paying for their spells, and then find the limitations that will make that happen. Basically, I think you should set this particular limitation at a value that gets you to 1 1/2 in total limits, as that seems to be the cost you are looking for. I hope this helps.

And just to clarify, I'm not saying anyone should ditch limits that don't fit the costing of the magic system they want. 5th Ed. makes it clear that if a limit applies to all magic in a setting, then it isn't a limit worth any points. Combine that with the RP/3 or RP/5 method...it becomes pretty clear that the costing of a magic system and the APs, limitations, and advantages are not, and need not, be as closely linked as they used to be.

It makes it easier to build magic system that make sense, I think. I really like how this works.

Well, for my Wizardry Magic System http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/GreyHEROContent/PackageDeals/wizardPackages.shtml

which is VPP based and requires that Wizards learn Spells (to a Spellbook -- but thats really just a cosmetic trapping), I simply apply the Only Change Spells With Spell Book & Study Time (-1/2) Limitation to the Control cost, and then in the restrictions on the Magic System dictate how a Wizard adds Spells to their Spellbook.