From Confederation to Union, Star Hero to Galactic Champion. Your thoughts?

Hermit

I made this post in the Champions section, but it occurs to me maybe I should ask here in hopes of more responses.

Well, part of the interesting thing/troublesome thing about Galactic Champions is that a few parts are not covered in details that are crucial if you plan on running things in that area. A big example is the Catavalan Union, formerly the Velarian Confederation. Seems like out of the 26 species there, all had to fight against the hungry fungi, and afterwards they each went different ways, but it doesn't say which race did what, save for the Catavalans themselves who apparently ended up in charge of the Union. The others either joined that new Union, are focused solely on patching up their own worlds and completely autonomous again, and others were conquered by the Varanyi, Ackailans, or Roinesh.

But which went which way? Which species were conquered? If Joe is hoping to play a Fassai in a GC campaign, he's probably going to need to know if his species is enslaved by the Varanyi or Roinesh, licking their wounds and going it alone, or prominent members of the Union.

(BTW, but if anyone has their own ideas on which species of the former Velarian Confederation suffered what fate, I'd LOVE to hear it. I've been tempted to start a campaign up with the PCs as the Avatars in that very part of space)

• 3 weeks later...

Re: From Confederation to Union, Star Hero to Galactic Champion. Your thoughts?

Well, part of the interesting thing/troublesome thing about Galactic Champions is that a few parts are not covered in details that are crucial if you plan on running things in that area. A big example is the Catavalan Union, formerly the Velarian Confederation. Seems like out of the 26 species there, all had to fight against the hungry fungi, and afterwards they each went different ways, but it doesn't say which race did what, save for the Catavalans themselves who apparently ended up in charge of the Union. The others either joined that new Union, are focused solely on patching up their own worlds and completely autonomous again, and others were conquered by the Varanyi, Ackailans, or Roinesh.

But which went which way? Which species were conquered? If Joe is hoping to play a Fassai in a GC campaign, he's probably going to need to know if his species is enslaved by the Varanyi or Roinesh, licking their wounds and going it alone, or prominent members of the Union.

Here's my extrapolation based upon the TE material on the Fassai question:

From the TE description, my gut feeling is that the Fassai at least tried to go on their own. I'm guessing that they can't. They either join the Union or get taken over.

---

Necessary Strife Within the Union

In the Terran Empire the Fassai were trying to get back into the good faith of the Confederation after warring on a fellow member. The Catavalans were "steadfastly loyal to Confederation principles."

TE mentions that the social structures are very stable but also in a 'petrified' state whose qualities lead to very frequent conflict. The Catavalans also have a different more-or-less calcified socio-cultural structure.

The TE's description of the Fassai culture indicates that they have a tendency towards brash actions. The Catavalans are almost Ent-like in their approach.

That all being said, however, the Union and the Fassai are surrounded by much larger hostile entities and the old idea of 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' might trump all other socio-cultural issues.

------

Hostile Takeover

If they're a species under siege, from the map in the Terran Empire (and extrapolating that the Fassai will still be centered on their home world of Kadrigar), I'd go with Roin'esh control (The appearance of being an independent entity while the heads of the houses are secretly Roin'esh agents is a great campaign plot seed :) ) or maybe a blunt Ackailan takeover.

---------------------------------

General Galactic Champions:

Think there's any chance we might see a Galactic Map circa 3000 slapped into the back of the Worlds of Empire? (Although I'm guessing that the Roin'esh 'Union's borders will probably be in dotted lines :) )