A Secret Service Question, version 2.0

Mark Rand

Re: A Secret Service Question, version 2.0

Kathryn Yarnell, R.N. looked at the woman standing beside her and said, "This is perfect, Andrea. You can't even see my body armor."

"That's the idea," Secret Service Agent Andrea Price said as she and Kathryn, both in scrubs, grabbed their purses. "It's time." Kathryn nodded. They left her apartment for the lobby. There, they met two more female Secret Service agents, also in scrubs.

"You're doing a good job of blending in," Kathryn said. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think all of us were nurses."

"That's the idea," Andrea said as they entered the armored GMC Tahoe. "Dr. Martin is leaving her house."

"She's in the eye clinic all day," Kathryn, the clinic's head nurse, said. "Any word on Holly?"

"Your daughter's accepted protection," Andrea replied. "The agents know they don't have any say in the operation of the show and to watch the circus staff when they hear something weird."

Secret Service Agents Annie Clark, Gina Toscano, and Cathy Miller left their motel rooms at 5:30 am and, after paying, crossed the parking lot and entered the lot that soon would be occupied by the Ross Brothers Circus.

"Help you ladies?" asked a woman dressed like a working cowgirl who was walking the lot

"Yeah," Gina said showing her badge. After exchanging introductions, Gina asked, "Where is everyone?"

"In transit," replied Mary "Cowgirl" West, the show's 24-hour advance agent. "It's a 100-mile trip from the previous town to here. It took me 2 hours and 30 minutes, but then, I stopped every 5-miles to put up arrows. If you ladies want to, you can leave your bags in my motorhome. That's it by the fence."

"Good idea," Annie said. "I'm to bunk with you."

Cowgirl tosssed her a key and said, "Your bunk's the sofa. If you ladies look on the dinette table, you'll find show radios and information packets with your names on them."

The agents headed for Cowgirl's camper. There, they left their bags, gathered their radios, and looked over the provided information. They then rejoined Mary and waited for the circus to arrive.

The sheriff arrived at 6:30. The lot owner hadn't given the circus permission to be on his property and wanted them gone. Cowgirl phoned the sponsor contact and briefed him on the problem. She then passed the phone to the sheriff. They agreed that the show could stay until 10:00, then, unless everything was worked out, it would leave by noon.

As the trucks came in, Cowgirl parked them and briefed people on the situation. Holly herself rolled in at 7:40 and was joined by Gina and Cathy. "Is this situation normal?" Gina asked.

"Not to my knowledge," Holly replied. "I hope they can get things straightened out."

"How much are they setting up?" the sheriff asked Cowgirl.

"What we can quickly take down," she replied. "I know out vet wants to check the animals, our cookhouse boss wants to serve breakfast, and some of our people have to be seen by our medical team."

"Fine," the sheriff said as the partial setup began and the senior Mr. Ross talked things over with the sponsor and property owner.

"We're out of luck," Mr. Ross said when he joined them.

"Can't we find another lot?" Cowgirl asked.

"There isn't one available," Mr. Ross replied. "Head out and retrieve the old arrows, then arrow the way to the new lot. I'll let everyone here know what's going on."

"Understood, Mr. Ross," Cowgirl said. "Oh, the shop trucks aren't here, yet."

"Thanks for the information," Mr. Ross said. He then turned to the sponsor and said, "If you like, we'll honor today's tickets at our performances tomorrow. Of course, you won't get any money from those performances."

"Time to leave," Cowgirl told Annie.

"How long will it take us to make the round trip?" Annie asked.

"Slightly over four hours," Cowgirl replied. After looking at her watch, she added, "Nuts. It's 9:10 now. We'll be back after 1 pm. Then, I still have to arrow the route to the next town." She went and explained the situation to Mr. Ross.

Edward and Ann Ross, the ringmaster and his wife, agreed to retreive the old arrows while Cowgirl and Annie arrowed the route to the next city. Cowgirl and Annie grabbed a quick bite in the pie car, then headed back to the motorhome.

"Computers are cool," Annie said as Cowgirl printed the routing information.

"Yeah," Cowgirl said. "Everything secure?"

"All secure," Annie replied. They left.

Gina leaned against the cat truck and watched while Holly and the two cat grooms, Jim and Sue Johnson, tended their charges. At the same time, Cathy was walking the lot, trying to get a feel for it. She noted that many of the workers were taking the time to do repairs on equipment.

At 10:00, Mr. Ross called everyone together and briefed them on the situation. Janice Forester, the cookhouse and pie car manager, stated that the pie car would close at 10:45 and Annette Campbell, M.D., the show's physician stated that the medical office would close at 11:30.

Holly and Gina left at 11:35, with Gina driving Holly's motorhome while Cathy rode shotgun for Jim in the cat semi. Sue, his wife, followed in their rig, a pickup truck with a camper on the bed.

Once on the new lot, with plenty of time before the next day's shows, the big top and sideshow tent were laid out, but not set up.

At 3:05, with a group of animal rights activists picketing, it began to storm. The activists got very wet very fast while the circus employees were inside either their vehicles or the pie car. An hour later, the storm was over and the lot began to dry out. By that time, the activists had left.

After a good dinner, Mr. Ross announced that the wakeup call would be sounded at 7:00 the next morning, and Janice announced that breakfast would be served from 7:15 to 8:15.

• 7 months later...

More spelling errors have been fixed and there are a few new changes to the concept.

1) The Secret Service wasn't aware of the undead problem until the Martins told them about their daughter.

2) Holly is an experienced circus showgirl. Her husband, James Nelson, is the Ross Brothers Circus ringmaster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a campaign in which World War II ended differently. While the Allies defeated Italy and Germany, they lost to Japan.

In this, we'd have a Governor and Lieutenant Governor instead of a President and Vice President.

I'm working on a campaign in which World War II ended differently. While the Allies defeated Italy and Germany, they lost to Japan.

In this, we'd have a Governor and Lieutenant Governor instead of a President and Vice President.

Come to think of it, The United States would, by this time, be part of Japan's version of the British Commonwealth of Nations.