A Secret Service Question, version 2.0

Mark Rand

In a world much like our own, but having supers, vampires, Slayers, and the occasional Hellmouth, Jonathan Hayes is President of the United States. He's a former Marine officer, the widowed father of a daughter who is now in college, and engaged to a cancer survivor. Although he doesn't like militias, he doesn't mind non-sanctioned supers that don't kill.

After his Vice President was arrested, on various charges, for conspiring to kill him because he wasn't paying enough attention to special interest groups, he chose Senator William Martin as the new Vice President.

Senator Martin and his wife, June, an eye doctor with her own practice near George Washington University Hospital, met with Secret Service Agent Alex McGregor to discuss security matters.

"Dr. Martin, since the former Vice President was one of your patients, we have some information on your practice," Alex said. "However, I have a few questions."

"I plan to keep working," she said. "Hopefully, we can keep my travel to and from the office as low-key as possible. Also, if you can find body armor that I can wear under scrubs, which are my usual working clothes, I will wear it."

"Good," Alex said. "Senator Martin, I understand you like hockey and motor sports and sometimes go at the drop of a hat to such events."

"Right,' he said. "I know it will be a burden on you, but someone who's going after me won't know my plans, either."

"True," Alex admitted. They discussed race tracks and hockey arenas further, before going to their next topic. "I understand that you have a daughter."

"Right," the senator replied. "She's married and works for a circus."

"What does she do there?" Alex asked.

"She trains the big cats," June replied. "Currently, she has a lion, King, two lionesses, Lois and Rose, two tigresses, Princess and Angie, and two ligers, Tammy and Tracy."

"What does her husband do?" Alex asked.

"Her husband, Matt, plays trumpet in the show band, which he also leads," William Martin replied. The rest of the band is his family. His father, Paul, plays the drums, his mother, Fran, plays the organ, his brother, Jack, plays the helicon, or helical tuba, and his sister, Susan, plays the euphonium, or tenor tuba. Since Susan's visual field is only 12 degrees in diameter, she's considered legally blind. Fortunately, she has a guide dog, a golden retriever named Sugar."

"Susan's also licensed as a massage therapist for canines, equines, and felines," June said. "Also, Jack's married. His wife, Diana, is part of the Vasquez family. She's a fifth-generation aerialist and a human cannonball."

"I see," Alex said. "What happens if someone gets sick?"

"A nurse practitioner and a vet travel with the show. The vet, Dr. Rumiko Nishigawa, is the show's only metahuman. She can mentally talk to animals."

"Handy in her line of work," Alex said.

"Yeah," William said. "She's in the tent when animals also are. Otherwise, she walks the midway, looking at the animals and talking to their caretakers. That is, of course, assuming, she isn't working on an animal at the time."

"Rumiko owns Ebony, the black leopard in the menagerie," June added. "She raised that cat from an infant and bonded with Ebony when she opened her eyes."

"Then, Ebony thinks Rumiko's her mother," Alex said. "Ebony's probably also trained to walk on a leash. Of course, if someone where to attack Rumiko in her cat's sight, Ebony will probably attack them."

"True, but Rumiko is a skilled fighter," William martin said. They then spent an hour discussing various things about the circus.

"I'm going to need a list of the names of the show's employees," Alex said.

"We have last year's routebook," June said, passing it to her. "Could we have it back?"

"Sure," Alex replied. "With everyone carrying knives and Rumiko having a compressed air pistol and rifle, this will be a challenge."

"You'll figure it out," June assured her.

"I hope so." She looked at the Martins, and asked, "Is there any chance we can talk her and her husband into leaving the show?"

"No," June replied.

"Didn't think so," Alex admitted. "I'll come up with something. We'll probably also have to coordinate our advance team with Mary West, the show's 24-hour advance agent." Soon after this, the meeting broke up.

Ideas for procedures for June's and Holly's detail's are requested. Would Holly's advance detail work with the show's 24-hour advance agent?

Although not covered above, would Alex work with the Slayers and their associates to provide protection against mystical attacks?

What is Grant's official status, if any, with the Secret Service? The above meeting took place before Grant and Alex were married. Two weeks later, they were married by a Maryland Justice of the Peace.

Re: A Secret Service Question, version 2.0

Here's a bit more about June Martin's office.

It's on the first floor of a six story building near George Washington University Hospital. The rest of the first floor consists of a coffee shop, an optician, a medical diagnostic imaging group and a diagnostic studies (blood and urine testing) lab.

Across the street is another office building. On its ground floor are a uniform store, a convenience store, the building entrance and a medical supply company.

All the people in June's office, including June herself, wear navy blue scrubs with the practice name in gold and an ID bar over the left breast. (These aren't photo IDs. These are the old fashion ones with the name and designation (M.D., R.N., C.M.A., etc).

June's team uses a rented an office, facing hers, on the second floor of the building across the street as a command post and, while she's in her office, a female agent works as a waitress in the coffee shop.

A female advance team agent, in scrubs, opens the office. Once she gives the all clear, June comes in with two more agents. According to their ID bars, the advance agent's the office manager and the other two are medical assistants.

Comments?

This is a bit of an adjustment to June's team. Before she was being protected by the Secret Service, she has a nurse and two CMAs, or Certified Medical Assistants, working for her. Now, there are three additional people in her office, one obvious body guard, and two additional body guards that dress like medical assistants and act like that's what they are. This way, they can watch the patients while they work.

On to Holly's detail.

I think there would be agents working with Mary "Cowgirl" West, the show's 24-hour advance agent. (She was given the nickname Cowgirl because she dresses like a working cowgirl.) Two agents travel with her in their own motorhome. The other three advance agents stay a day ahead of them. Both units communicate with the Secret Service command post on the show, the circus office, and each other via a secure server.

Sigh

Lots of thought goes into these doesn't it?

The secret service would *not* assign three agents to the worksite of the wife of a senator. Our tax dollars at work.

The Secret Service would have no official level for a spouse or SO that would enable them to partake in mission breifings or objectives. The realism factor would be whether or not the agent gets reprimanded for involving an outside party. In a non realistic game the agent only gets some ribbing for bringing her man around so often.

Hawksmoor

-Strange world Rand-land.

Sigh

Lots of thought goes into these doesn't it?

The secret service would *not* assign three agents to the worksite of the wife of a senator. Our tax dollars at work.

The Secret Service would have no official level for a spouse or SO that would enable them to partake in mission breifings or objectives. The realism factor would be whether or not the agent gets reprimanded for involving an outside party. In a non realistic game the agent only gets some ribbing for bringing her man around so often.

Hawksmoor

-Strange world Rand-land.

Good points.

I shouldn't have brought Grant into the briefing.

As far as June and Holly go, I'm trying to figure out what happens once Senator Martin becomes Vice President.

Then they are offered a minimal amount of secret service protection. One agent to make certain that they are safe and protected from the loons.

They can of course decline the service at their leisure.

Hawksmoor

Okay, we can run with this.

June's agent has medical assistant's training and stays close to her.

Holly's stays as close as she can. When Holly's performing, she stays close to, Rumiko, the show's vet, who watches the animals while standing near a seat wagon.

Both women wear black and have access to Rumiko's compressed air pistol, which is in her backpack, compressed air rifle, and tranq darts, both of which are close at hand. Rumiko makes the call on whether or not an animal should be darted.

Said seat wagon is just to the left of the back (or stage) door and also has the wardrobe area. Just to the right of the back door is the bandstand, which carries both the PA system and main power box for the big top.

Would Alex talk to the Slayers about making sure the President and White House are secure from mystical and supernatural attacks? Personally, I think she would.

Senators don't receive Secret Service protection; nor is the Secret Service liable to get involved if they are threatened. If they are threatened the matter would be handled by the FBI (who ownes the relevant federal statues). This would be the FBIs baby with some very minor jurisdictional crossover with the mashals service. Also, the federal legislature has its own security service, and some of its members are trained at the Secret Service academy (the State Department also has such people for its senior personnel). The latter would be the most likely candidates for protection, while the FBI would be the agency tasked with investigating the matter. If the threat were against the federal judiciary it would be the Federal Marshals case (with FBI support).

Senators don't receive Secret Service protection; nor is the Secret Service liable to get involved if they are threatened. If they are threatened the matter would be handled by the FBI (who ownes the relevant federal statues). This would be the FBIs baby with some very minor jurisdictional crossover with the mashals service. Also' date=' the federal legislature has its own security service, and some of its members are trained at the Secret Service academy (the State Department also has such people for its senior personnel). The latter would be the most likely candidates for protection, while the FBI would be the agency tasked with investigating the matter. If the threat were against the federal judiciary it would be the Federal Marshals case (with FBI support).[/quote']

They'd protect Senator Martin, and, possibly his family once he was nominated to replace the arrested Vice President. When he was sworn in as Vice President, the Secret Service would take over protecting him and his family. Right?

As far as Holly's agent goes, it just occurred to me that I should create a male agent instead. Agent James Marshall is somewhat stoic. He's a former football player with a degree in criminal justice. The only time he's seen a circus is when it played in an arena and he's neither camped out nor lived in a motorhome (or travel trailer). Boy, he has a lot to learn.

I'm going to start posting his first day at the circus soon. Some of it will be drawn from my experiences, in 1981, when I was employed by the Carson & Barnes Circus, which has it's winter quarters in Hugo, Oklahoma.

They'd protect Senator Martin' date=' and, possibly his family once he was nominated to replace the arrested Vice President. When he was sworn in as Vice President, the Secret Service would take over protecting him and his family. Right?[/quote']

Sure. There might be some multi-agency cooperation in that instance. The secret service would protect him and investigate, but since he's still a senator the FBI might also participate in the investigation.

It's 6:00 am, and just starting to get light.

"Thanks for the ride, Sheriff," Agent James Marshall of the United States Secret Service said as he climbed out of the cruiser and grabbed his bags.

"You're welcome," the sheriff said. Spotting a figure walking the lot, he added, "That's Mary West, the show's 24-hour advance agent. I parked next to her motorhome."

"I see," Agent Marshall said. "Think I'll talk to her and find out about the lot." As he walked toward Mary, he noted that she knelt to check something on the ground. "Good morning,' he called out as she stood.

"Yes, it is," she said, walking toward him. As she did, he noted that she wore blue jeans, brown Western boots, a light-gray shirt, a dark-brown fringed jacket, tan gloves, a blue bandanna that was tied so that she could pull it over her nose and mouth, and a white cowboy hat. "What can I do for you?"

"James Marshall, United States Secret Service," he said, showing her his badge.

"Mary West," she said. "Everyone calls me Cowgirl."

"I can see why," he said as they shook hands. "What can you tell me about the lot?"

"The nearest high-tension lines are one half mile away," she replied. "There are telephone lines above the entrance and a pay phone by it. There are two electrical poles on the lot and storm sewers running through the lot, but nowhere near where stakes go. There are sewer gratings are along two sides of the lot."

"What about those small wooden stakes?" he asked, pointing to ones laid out in an oval.

"Big top stake line," she replied.

"Sounds like you have things under control," Jim said. "When's Holly due in?"

"Probably between 7:30 and 8:00 am," Mary replied. "Until she comes, you can leave your bags in my motorhome. You can also pickup the two-way radio Mr. Ross asked me to give to you."

"I will," he said. As they walked to where his bags were sitting, Jim asked, "Besides the air pistol and rifle the vet has, what firearms are there on the lot?"

"Two old toy revolvers I own," Mary replied. "I've loved Westerns since I was little and always wore them when I dressed up as a cowgirl for Halloween. Come to think of it, one year in high school, since our mascot was the mustang, the principal decided that we should all dress up in Western wear. Gloves, masks, and toy weapons were permitted. Want to see them?"

"Please."

"No problem. I also have a bunch of photographs of me in Western clothes and my old masks."

"Do I have time to look at them?" he asked.

"Yes," Mary replied, looking at her watch. "It's 6:04. If they're on schedule, the first vehicles should be arriving at 7:10."

They arrived at her motorhome. After securing his bags, Jim watched Mary take two holster sets from an overhead cabinet. He noted that they were the type worn with Western costumes, confirmed that they were toys, and replaced them. That's when the masks and a box labeled "PHOTOS" caught his eye. He looked at them and put them back.

"Very nice photos."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Jim picked his radio up as they left the motorhome and, after a quick check showed that it was in working order, pocketed it. Then, they waited.

At 7:10, as it was getting light, a seat wagon carrying tent poles and sidewalls rolled in. The two water trucks followed. Both had stakedrivers mounted at the rear. Their trailers, the bandstand and portable toilets, were unhooked. They waited, too.

The office and lightplant followed. After Mary parked them, the pie car and medical office, a motorhome, rolled in. As the spool truck rolled in, Jim went to the pie car.

As he did, he remembered what he'd read about them. Catherine "Cat" Campbell, R.N.P., the show's nurse lived in and worked out of a 22-foot motorhome. One of the other cookhouse workers, who lived in another vehicle, rode with her. Janice, a cook, and Patty, the cookhouse roustabout, were in the pie car semi. Although Catherine and Patty were, like Holly, African-American, Patty was a recent convert to Islam. By the time Jim arrived, Patty, who's hair was covered by a black scarf, had climbed down and was pulling her work gloves on. Cat, wearing navy blue flightsuit, was hooking up her sewer hose.

"Good morning," he said, showing his badge.

"Yeah, it is," Patty said. "Any problems?"

"No," Jim replied. "Just trying to get to know the people here."

"That's nice." Turning to Cat," Patty asked, "Need any help?"

"I can manage," Cat replied.

"Okay," Patty said. "I'll be setting up the pie car. Yell if you need me."

"Will do," Cat said.

"Got to drag the tent and poles out," Janice said.

"I know," Patty said. "It won't be a problem."

As Jim watched, Janice and Patty unloaded the poles from the main part of the trailer and canvas from the rear section and set them up. "We'll the tent up within ten minutes," Janice said as they unloaded what was needed and hooked up the drain hose.

"I see," Jim said as Patty pounded stakes into the ground and Janice positioned poles.

"Elephant and vet semis and big top crew bus entering." Janice called out.

"Sideshow and concessions are here, too," Patty added. It was 7:30.

Jim walked back to Mary's motorhome and watched as trucks rolled in and were unloaded. The crews worked and the circus took shape.

"See that yellow semi?" Mary asked Jim. It was 7:43.

"Yes," he replied.

"That's the cage truck. Holly's right behind it. The rig right behind her is American Beauty, Diana's circus cannon. Its trailer carries the net and its supports and other needed gear. I'll introduce you to Holly once she's parked."

"Thank you."

"you're welcome."

"Welcome aboard," Holly said to Jim after Mary's introduction.

"Likewise," Matt said. "Good to have you here."

"Thanks," Jim said. "Where do I bunk?" he asked, looking around the Class-C motorhome.

"Above the driver's compartment," Matt said.

"We had a key made for you," Holly added. Matt tossed it to Jim.

"Thank you. Once I retreive my luggage from Mary's motorhome, I'll unpack. Where do we meet?"

"In the big top," Matt replied. "Since I'm the band leader, I get to hook up the PA system. The speakers hang from the ceiling."

"Before I forget, there's a low fence around the cat truck," Holly said. "The only people allowed inside it are Rumiko, our vet, the cat grooms and me."

"I understand," Jim said.

After getting settled in, Jim met Holly and Matt in the big top and watched as they attached the pulleys and ropes that carry the speakers and cables to the fireproof polyvinyl ceiling. Once the tent was up and guyed out, and the seat trucks were positioned inside, people began positioning lights, speakers, cables of various sizes, props and other gear inside the tent.

"Flag's up!" someone yelled.

"Lunchtime," Holly said.

"I've rewritten some of the above posts to reflect the kind of lot we had when I was with the Carson and Barnes Circus and the final design of the medical office motorhome.

Catherine worked in a level one trauma center before coming to the circus in 1998. Anne, a specialist in internal medicine, sold her practice in 2004 and joined her daughter after getting fed up with the health insurance industry telling her how to practice medicine.

As you can tell, there's been more editing done. Grant and Anne are gone from parts of the story and the 29 foot motorhome bunkhouse for seven has been replaced by a 22 foot motorhome and office for Cat. This is because the other one wouldn't work.

After lunch, Agent Marshall left the cookhouse for the midway. Spotting the sheriff and a deputy by the cat truck, he ducked into the big top and looked around. Spotting something out of the corner of his eye, he turned to the right and noted that Holly's father-in-law was setting his drums up and the rest of the family was positioning chairs and microphones.

"Looks good, doesn't it," said a mild voice from behind. Agent Marshall turned and saw a tall, thin man. "Good afternoon," the man said. "I'm James Ross, the ringmaster, performance director, and side show announcer."

"Anything going on that I should know about?" Agent Marshall asked.

"Yes. Do you see the seat wagon on our left?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"That's where Rumiko stays during the performances when there are animals are in the tent. Also, they're getting ready to test fire Diana's cannon. The payload is a sand-filled canvas bag that weighs as much as she does."

"Okay."

Jim Ross walked to his platform by center ring, turned to the bandstand, and asked, "Is my mike hot?"

"It is, now, Jim," came the reply.

"Thank you." He picked the mike up and announced, "Your attention, please. The cannon is about to be fired. Please stand clear." People moved. "Attention those by the cannon. You are cleared to fire."

BOOM. It fired. When the test payload hit, a female voice yelled, "Bulls-eye!"

Jim Marshall left the big top and saw a group of people by the cat truck. "Inspectors, reporters, and animal rights protestors," the sheriff said.

Jim nodded and stood just outside the barrier, next to the inspectors and Tim Ross, the show's general manager.

"That tiger's limping a bit," an inspector said as the animal rights folks yelled.

"Our vet knows," Holly said. "She said that she'd have a look after tending to two elephants and our zebra."

"Good enough," the inspector said. He signed a form, and said, "Everything looks fine. Take care, folks." He left and the animal rights folks booed him. They also threw canisters around. Where they landed, something sprayed into the air.

"Want me to arrest them for littering?" the sheriff asked Tim Ross.

"Up to you," Tim, the senior of the two Ross brothers, replied.

"Think I will," the sheriff said. He then said to the protesters, "You are under arrest for littering. Guess I'll have to talk all of you to the station house." He told his deputy to call for the wagon. One protester, who was quite close to the barrier, managed to punch Holly. He then yelped loudly as a lioness clawed his right arm and shoulder.

"I'll call our nurse," Tim said. "She can clean and bandage his wound."

"Fine," the sheriff said. He then turned to the wounded protester and said, "Young man, that lady you assaulted was the Vice President's daughter. I'm arresting you on assault and battery and I'm sure the Secret Service can also press charges against you. Isn't that correct, Agent Marshall?"

"Yes," Jim Marshall replied.

"I'll sue," the protester yelled. "I was outside the barrier.

"Your arm wasn't," Jim replied. "The evidence is on tape." He turned to the reporters and said, "The sheriff will need copies of your notes, film, and tapes."

"Do we get them back?" a reporter asked.

"Yes," the sheriff replied.

"I'll help Holly to our motorhome," her husband, Matt, said as he joined them.

"I can walk," Holly said getting up.

"I know," Matt said, helping his wife across the barrier.

"Thanks, Lois," Holly told the lioness, who purred.

Once inside their 24-foot motorhome, Holly stripped to the waist while Matt prepaired an ice bag. "You've done this before?" Jim Marshall asked.

"Yeah," Matt replied. "Besides, Cat's motorhome is smaller than ours. No sense in having twelve people in there."

"I've called for a doctor and paramedics," the sheriff said after sticking his head inside.

"Won't be necessary," Matt said, placing a towel on his sleeping wife's shoulders and placing the ice bag on it.

"Humor me," the sheriff said. "She's the Vice-President's daughter."

"Fine," Jim Marshall said. "Please stay here. I want to check on the attacker."

"Will do."

Jim walked to Cat's motorhome, which was parked near the cookhouse. He found the attacker laying on the sofa, on a dropcloth, with his right arm, the one Cat was treating, facing upward. The dinette table, which was across from the table, held first aid supplies and Cat's diagnostic instruments. A deputy stood in the driver's compartment.

"He's been cuffed, and read his rights," the deputy said. "Cat took his shirt and undershirt off, dropped each in a biohazard bag, then sealed both and put them in the paper evidence bag behind me. The dropcloth'll be treated the same way. The box to the right of it holds six of the spray cans they tossed, in three evidence bags. We're keeping one, the second goes to the FBI lab. The last goes wherever you want it."

"Right," Agent Marshall said as two men in suits entered. He recognized one as the senior Mr. Ross. The other was the local doctor.

"I'd like to see what your nurse is doing," the doctor said.

"Catherine knows what she's doing," Mr. Ross said.

"I doubt it," the doctor retorted. "She's only a practical nurse. That's all an outfit like yours could probably afford."

"Catherine's a nurse practitioner who worked in a level-one trauma center before coming here," Mr. Ross said with a grin.

"Then, why would someone with that much experience work for a two-bit, rag-tag, flea-bitten show like yours?"

"This show is neither two-bit, nor rag-tag, nor flea-bitten," Cat said as she stepped back from her patient. "I was laid off because the new owner of the hospital, an insurance company, was threatened by my beliefs. You see, I think the health insurance companies care more for their own wallets than they do about caring for patients and have said so, in public and in court several times."

"I see," the doctor said. "I'll have a quick look, then go." He looked, said, "Very nice," and left.

The day went smoothly and once the spectators were guided to the lower midway, where the ticket office, concessions, and sideshow were, Holly looked at her cats and asked, "Everybody ready for the show?"

Instead of the expected growls and snarls, the cats said, in good English that they were ready to perform.

"How long have you been able to speak?" an astonished Holly asked.

"Since the cans sprayed stuff into the air," Princess, one of the tigresses, replied.

"Anybody have any medical problems?" Rumiko asked.

"There's a bit of soreness in my back," King, the lion replied. "Can someone have a look at it?"

"Susan's an expert in massage therapy for canines, equines and felines," Rumiko replied. "I'll have her check you over."

"Thank you," King said. "Don't worry. We'll behave. It isn't proper to claw someone who takes care of you."

• 1 year later...

I've gone through this and reformatted it and fixed spelling and other errors.

Recently, I've had a few ideas and found out a few things.

Being the Vice-President's wife, June Martin, M.D., would have a Secret Service detail equal to the First Lady's.

June is an eye surgeon and on the faculty of the George Washington University Medical School. The Martins have a daughter, Ronna, who is in high school and living with her mother's parents. Ronna is also a BtVS-style Slayer.

Kathryn Yarnell, R.N., is a cancer survivor, the head nurse at the eye clinic where June Martin, M.D. practices, the President's bride-to-be, and the mother of a 20-something young lady who is employed by a circus. (In the main show, she trains the big cats, rides a horse in Spec, the parade inside the tent, and handles a ring of liberty horses. In the sideshow, she's the girl in the blade box.) At the President's suggestion, Kathryn has, finally, agreed to Secret Service protection.

Suggestions anyone?