Making a PC for a true newbie...help

Guzalot

I am having three new players joining my campaign next weekend. Not a single one of them has ever played a tabletop RPG before, let alone Champions. Two of them are a married couple and the other is the wife of one of my current players. To get them started I am making four characters and will let each of them choose which PC they want. To make it as painless a learning curve as possible I am trying to keep the characters relatively simple and straightforward. So far I have a fairly standard brick and a speedster but I ran into trouble with the telekinetic energy projector. I can't put my finger on it but this character lacks...something. The gender is so-far undetermined because I don't know who will playing him/her. Also, the disadvantages are incomplete but I'll take care of those later. I mainly want some input to give this PC some "spark" and make him/her more interesting while still keeping him/her simple. The general background is a former pickpocket/street kid that an existing PC (Shadowkill, a martial artist) has taken under his wing. This is very much a work in progress. Suggestions for a possible name are also welcome, the current name is just a temporary place-holder for HD.Anyway, here he/she is:TKPlayer:

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
12 BODY 4
10 INT 0
18 EGO 16
8 PRE -2
12 COM 1
10/22 PD 6
10/22 ED 5
6 SPD 27
9 REC 0
46 END 0
33 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM03 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 130
Cost Power END
60 Telekinesis: Multipower, 60-point reserve
6u 1) Telekinetic Fist: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points) 6
6u 2) Telekinetic Fist: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 0
6u 3) Mental Manipulation: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 0
6u 4) Mind Over Matter: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points) 6
6u 5) Telekinetic Bullet: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6-1, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points) 6
6u 6) Telekinetic Bullets: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 2
5u 7) Telekinetic Wall: Force Wall (12 PD/10 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (59 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6
18 Mental Powers: Elemental Control, 36-point powers
19 1) Open Your Mind: Telepathy 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points) 0
18 2) Telekinetic Shield: Force Field (12 PD/12 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (36 Active Points) 0
21 3) Telekinetic Flight: Flight 13", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (39 Active Points) 1
15 4) Telekinetic Repulsion: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Usable By Other (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (45 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 4
10 Mental Wards: Mental Defense (14 points total) 0
Powers Cost: 202
Cost Skill
3 Teamwork 14-
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Sleight Of Hand 14-
6 +2 With Telekinesis Multipower
Skills Cost: 18
Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
Disadvantage Points: 45

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 105Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Re: Making a PC for a true newbie...help

Just out of curiousity, did the players give you any input into what kind of character they wanted to play?

I know that Champions is a complex game to begin with, especially with RPG novices. And taking them through building that first character could easily take at least one full session of play. But I'd at least want some idea of what their favorite powers or archetype was before building characters for them.

I don't see anything wrong with TK as written...but you've already made it very versatile and, with so many slots in the multipower and EC, pretty complex. If the purpose is to not overwhelm the player with so many combat options, I may want to eliminate a few slots. That would simplify the character, and give them some "growth areas" to spend XP on. Perhaps they can affect large objects (keep TK fist and mind over matter), but have trouble with more delicate operations (drop mental manipulation and telekinetic bullets).

Just out of curiousity' date=' did the players give you any input into what kind of character they wanted to play? [/quote']

Not really, they said they trust me. Anyway, these probably won't be their final characters after they've learned the system. This is just to "get their feet wet" with the Hero System. Once they've played a few sessions I'm sure they'll have ideas of their own.

I don't see anything wrong with TK as written...but you've already made it very versatile and' date=' with so many slots in the multipower and EC, pretty complex. If the purpose is to not overwhelm the player with so many combat options, I may want to eliminate a few slots. That would simplify the character, and give them some "growth areas" to spend XP on. Perhaps they can affect large objects (keep TK fist and mind over matter), but have trouble with more delicate operations (drop mental manipulation and telekinetic bullets).[/quote']

Yeah, I think maybe there is a little much there. I'll probably do away with the killing attacks, but I want to keep the Mental Manipulation. Part of my concept for the character would be that he/she could pick locks with her mind to give him/her a unique "bit" because at the moment the charcter seems pretty generic (at least to me).

Thanks for the input. :yes:

How does telekinesis give you a superhuman DEX or CON?

The character is a mutant. That and it's kind of a campaign standard (actualy kind of low-end for this campaign) and I didn't want the player to be too weak and fragile next to the established characters that have around 50 xp each. There's nothing more frustrating for a newbie than to be the weakest link in combat.

You're welcome. :) One other idea that I like, especially for new players, is to give them a Power Skill. Since wading through all of the powers and advantage variations can be daunting, this gives a GM a way to encourage them to think creatively about using their powers. ("What if I tried using my TK like this?")

You're welcome. :) One other idea that I like' date=' especially for new players, is to give them a Power Skill. Since wading through all of the powers and advantage variations can be daunting, this gives a GM a way to encourage them to think creatively about using their powers. ("What if I tried using my TK like this?")[/quote']

That's a great idea. It shall be done.

For your character it is a straight forward blaster, not too crazy, although there are alot of powers to choose from. Might want to get rid of a few and add some more skills to represent the thief/rogue background. As stated earlier is this person a mutant or a skilled human? If a skilled human with TK reduce the dex and con and maybe give a few overall combat levels.

I am planning on running a game in the future, i hope, for a group of players new to champions (well maybe if I can convieve them its a cool game). All the gamers are experienced but only 1 has played champions before but only 1 short campaign. My idea was to ask each player for a concept and list of powers listed by priority. I was going to make the characters for each of them and then sit them down and go over the character.

As a house rule for our group we allow the player to make minor changes after the first few games as they get to know the character. This is useful if we play a game system that is new or for some reason what you had in mind isnt what you ended up with.

For your character it is a straight forward blaster' date=' not too crazy, although there are alot of powers to choose from. Might want to get rid of a few and add some more skills to represent the thief/rogue background.[/quote']

I agree, there is maybe too much there for a newbie to absorb.

As stated earlier is this person a mutant or a skilled human? If a skilled human with TK reduce the dex and con and maybe give a few overall combat levels.

The character is definitely a mutant. As I said, a 23 DEX is actualy on the low end for this campaign. The team gadgeteer (Exodus) has a 24 DEX in his power armor and the martial artist (Shadowkill) has a 30. Even the now departed brick (Airdyne) had a 23. I don't want the character to be too overshadowed.

Just as an example, here is one of the PC's in my current campaign. He's a fantasy dwarf war priest sent by his god to establish a presence in this dimension. He has been divinely blessed by his god to be a combat machine. He's been one of my favorites ever since the player showed me his drawing of a 4' tall bearded dwarf wearing a 1930's-style trenchcoat and fedora (think Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) wielding an enchanted mace with a fat cigar in his mouth.

Anyway, I don't want the new players to be too overshadowed by PC's like this one. Of course they'll be less powerful but I want them to able to hold their own.

Bill Dwarfley, PI (aka: Alkezar "Alkie" Rimthoss)

Player:

Val Char Cost
30 STR 20
24 DEX 42
23 CON 26
12 BODY 4
13 INT 3
11 EGO 2
23 PRE 13
10 COM 0
14/26 PD 8
14/26 ED 9
6 SPD 26
16 REC 10
46 END 0
39 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM06" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 158

Cost Power END
8 Earpiece: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); IIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; Earpiece; -1/4) 0
7 Crown of Fortitude: Mental Defense (12 points total) (10 Active Points); OIF (Headband; -1/2) 0
4 Dwarven Metabolism: Life Support (Immunity: Alcohol; Longevity: 200 Years) 0
15 Winged Boots: Flight 11" (22 Active Points); OIF (Boots; -1/2) 2
24 Enchanted Elven Chainmail: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
60 Divine Magics: Multipower, 60-point reserve
3u 1) Thunderfist: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (52 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 5
5u 2) War Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) 6
4u 3) Vanish: Invisibility to Sight Group, Normal Hearing and Normal Smell , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (54 Active Points); Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) 0
4u 4) Battle Healing: Healing BODY 5d6, Can Heal Limbs (55 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4) 5
6u 5) Counterspell: Dispel Any One Magic Spell 20d6 (60 Active Points) 6
30 Morningstar: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OAF (Skullseeker the Morningstar; -1)
1u 1) My Gods Protect Me: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Usable By Other (+1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0
2u 2) Smite!: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 0
3u 3) Throw!: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1) 6
Powers Cost: 176

Cost Skill
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Criminology 12-
3 Deduction 12-
3 Fast Draw 14-
3 Interrogation 14-
2 KS: The Superhuman World 11-
2 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 11-
3 Language: English (Dwarvish is native) (completely fluent)
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Riding 14-
3 Seduction 14-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 14-
4 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Riding Animals
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
8 +1 with All Combat
5 +1 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 56

Cost Perk
2 Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License
4 Contact: Butch, underworld information broker (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 11-
Perks Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 401

Val Disadvantages
10 Social Limitation: Public ID (Occasionally, Major)
10 Psychological Limitation: Womanizer (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Superstitious (Common, Strong)
20 Hunted: Black Paladin 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
20 Hunted: The Zodiac 8- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Capture)
25 Hunted: Torak, Dwarven God of War 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
10 Distinctive Features: Mystic Aura (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
15 Distinctive Features: Short (4' tall) and stocky (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Dependent NPC: Current Girlfriend 8- (Normal)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 51

Total Experience Available: 51

Experience Unspent: 2

Taking some of your advice, here is an update. Any other suggestions or name ideas are welcomed.

TK

Player:

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
23 DEX 39
23 CON 26
12 BODY 4
10 INT 0
20 EGO 20
8 PRE -2
14 COM 2
10/22 PD 6
10/22 ED 5
6 SPD 27
9 REC 0
46 END 0
34 STUN 1
6" RUN02" SWIM03 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 136

Cost Power END
60 Telekinesis: Multipower, 60-point reserve
6u 1) Telekinetic Fist: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points) 6
6u 2) Telekinetic Fist: Energy Blast 8d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 0
6u 3) Mental Manipulation: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 0
6u 4) Mind Over Matter: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points) 6
5u 5) Telekinetic Wall: Force Wall (12 PD/10 ED; 3" long and 1" tall) (59 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6
18 Mental Powers: Elemental Control, 36-point powers
19 1) Open Your Mind: Telepathy 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points) 0
18 2) Telekinetic Shield: Force Field (12 PD/12 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (36 Active Points) 0
21 3) Telekinetic Flight: Flight 13", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (39 Active Points) 1
15 4) Telekinetic Repulsion: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Usable By Other (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (45 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 4
10 Mental Wards: Mental Defense (14 points total) 0
Powers Cost: 190

Cost Skill
3 Teamwork 14-
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Sleight Of Hand 14-
6 +2 With Telekinesis Multipower
3 Power: Telekinesis 13-
3 Streetwise 11-
Skills Cost: 24

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 45

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 105

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Okay, here's a few name suggestions, in order of personal preference.

1. Rather than a superheroish sounding name, how about going under whatever street name the character might have used?

2. Side Kick. Okay, on the surface, it sounds horribly generic, and even though the character is under the wing of another PC, they might not like the Bucky/Robin images it conjures up.

But the term "side kick" actually has its origins in pickpocket slang at the turn of the 20th century. Pickpockets called the front pocket in a coat or pair of pants the side kick. It's the hardest pocket to pick. Since its contents were the most secure, and therefore, inseperable from the wearer, someone came up with using it to describe a companion. By 1920, it was commonly used to describe a friend.

So if it's a street thief with a sense of history, they might like the "hidden" connotations of the name.

3. A 19th century term for a skilled pickpocket was "Fine Wirer." Not sure if that's a great name for a PC, but it's better than another pickpocket term from the time called "Flimp".

4. Phoenix. Should scare the crap out of any villains who read Marvel. :)

1. Rather than a superheroish sounding name, how about going under whatever street name the character might have used?

Right now I'm kind of leaning toward this alternative (Kitty Pryde anyone?). The name of the single male entering my game is Liberty. That's not a nickname or anything, that's his actual legal given name. Not the character, that's the players real name. I can't beat that! Get your own superhero name...