Another Suggestion for Dropping Figured Characteristics

Re: Another Suggestion for Dropping Figured Characteristics

Well' date=' this [i']might[/i] work okay for actual Figured Characteristics, but it doesn't work quite well for those Non-Characteristics that are figured from the Primaries: Leaping, Damage, OCV, DCV, etc. I'm not debating that Hero is great as a toolkit. I'm just wondering at the exact composition of the tool set. Is it broad and flat enough for all applications, so that all have and need are constructive tools, or is there a little too much depth so you need a jackhammer and a sledge to flatten things out a bit before you can really get to work on some projects? It's a tough one to answer, I think.

You can always apply a limitation to the stat for these as well (or a Disadvantage - I've seen Reduced Leap for a number of animals).

This is also not just an issue for stats. Many other abilities are bundled when you look at them closely. Energy Blast, for example, could be resructured to require you to purchase each of the following separately:

- ranged Stun damage

- ranged BOD damage

- Knockback

- Spread to enhance OCV

- Spread to hit multiple targets

For that matter, your system doesn't segregate Stun damage, BOD damage and Knockback. Maybe it should - couldn't some HTH damage be Stun only, BOD only and/or cause no knockback?

Re: Another Suggestion for Dropping Figured Characteristics

I always find the various "remove derived from base" schema to be interesting.

As to Doc Democracy's idea, it's a good one (I basically did that in Cyber Ninja Pirates, though it was a bit more hybridized because I also wanted lots of general skill ability, so skills replaed chars as basic building blocks, essentially, but it is one instead of two systems), but I think where that idea gets more rather than less complicated is for the situations, especially in supers, where most characters do beef up to some degree almost all characteristics, thus one would have to do a bit of learning on all of them, probably adding rather than subtracting from the curve in those situations.

Personally, I think the current basic/derived schema works well as a built-in framework, but it confuses the system coherency, but then again it's very playable and it seems people relate well to it. It therefore tends to rank low on my list of rework possibilities.