Sweep Manuver

Ndreare

Question

I am having a disagreement with a one of my players and we decided to come to you for resolution.

Can a multipower slot or elemental power slot be used as the attack form in a sweep manuver?

To keep the post nutral I identified us as numbers rather than saying he or I.

As #1 understands it, no because the rules forbid multiple power attacks with frame works and that would meen using your slot more than once thus two power manifestations. #1 believes that there are two differnt wording of the same manuver when they say sweep and multiple power attack.

As #2 understand it, yes as it is still only one attack power being used in the framework not multiple slots or powers.

#2 understand that a multiple power attack can only use one power in a framework at a time but #2 think these are listed as two seperate attack options not two differnt wordings of the same option.

So now we have some confusion. This actualy will be pivit point for our saturday game when we get back together as it will determane wheather the vilian won the fight or the player. We are at a cliffhanger something I usualy avoid but thought to give the players a chance for arbitration out side of Gamemaster fiat.

1 answer to this question

Sweep and multiple-Power attack are not two wordings of the same rule. They are two different rules. A multiple-Power attack, which the rules specifically limit to a single target, allows two or more Maneuvers/powers to be used against that one target as part of a single attack. A Sweep generally applies to two or more targets and involves the use of a single Maneuver/power, though the rules have optional provisions for Sweeps involving multiple Maneuvers/Powers. The rules do allow for Sweeps against a single target, but these are rare and generally involve things like Sweep Grabbing multiple limbs or Sweep Disarming multiple weapons.

A Power Framework slot could be used as one of the powers in a multiple-Power attack, provided the following apply: it’s the only power in the Framework used in the attack; the Framework is a Multipower or VPP with enough reserve/pool points to allocate to two or more slots used in the attack simultaneously; the Framework is an EC with two or more Attack Powers.

If a character wanted to Sweep with two or more powers in a Power Framework, against either a single target or multiple targets, one of these same three conditions would have to apply.

Of course, in either case, the GM should forbid a character to use a power in a Framework as part of a multiple-Power attack or a Sweep if doing so would defy common sense or dramatic sense, or would cause game balance problems. For example, it’s not uncommon for Champions characters to have Multipowers that are essentially a long list of different offensive applications of the same power. Firewing’s Fiery Attacks Multipower, which is just different ways to “tune” or project a bolt of fire, provides a perfect example. In that case, even if the character’s Multipower reserve is large enough to let him use two powers at once, the GM probably should not let him use two slots with a multiple-Power attack or Sweep, since it’s all really “one” power.