Partially Limited Characteristics

Steve

Question

I'm trying to wrap my mind around something that I've been asking about in the Hero Designer forum, so I have a couple of rules questions.

1) If I have a character that has bought a portion of his characteristics usable Only In Hero ID, how are figured characteristics calculated? For example, I buy a 16 CON in my basic form, and then I buy +7 points of CON OIHID, is my OIHID base ED a 4 or a 5? I was under the impression that the OIHID form would pick up the benefit of the round-off at that point, since the OIHID CON is now 23.

2) If I buy 8 points of DEX OIHID, and I also want to buy a point of SPD (and there is no limitation applied of No Figured Characteristics), do I pay 2 points to have that point of SPD, or 10 points?

1 answer to this question

As noted on 5E 93, when you buy Primary Characteristics as a Power (which is what you're doing when you apply a Limitation to them), they affect the Figured Characteristics normally if the Limitation would also apply to the Figureds -- otherwise, they don't factor in (and you can't take No Figured Characteristics, because the rules define that as happening by default).

So, for example, Primaries bought as OIHID would add to Figureds normally, since the Limitation also affects the Figureds -- if you can't change into heroic identity, you lose both. OTOH, STR bought with Increased Endurance Cost would not add to Figureds, because Figureds don't cost END, and therefore the Limitation doesn't affect them.

Note, however, that there are also considerations regarding the rounding rules which may apply (see followup question posted by dsimon), and some other exceptions (see the Rules FAQ re: buying SPD as a Power, for example).