Trigger and Sweep

Zed-F

Question

Suppose I have a character who has a triggered power (activating is a 0-phase action, resetting is a 0-phase action) that triggers when he hits someone. Further suppose I declare a sweep to attack the same person twice, and both attacks hit. Does the triggered power also then go off twice, or just once?

Does it make a difference if I am sweeping to attack 2 different targets?

Does it make a difference if the resetting occurs automatically immediately after it triggers?

Does it make a difference if activation is an action that takes no time?

1 answer to this question

Re: Trigger and Sweep

First off, it seems to me that if the activation condition is "hits someone," then the Trigger by definition needs an activation time of "takes no time" -- it's not something the character activates before he attacks someone (as a Zero Phase Action), it's something that activates as he's attacking someone. But of course it's up to your GM to determine what value he considers appropriate.

Second, it's also up to your GM to determine what constitutes "hitting someone" for purposes of the Trigger. I, personally, would rule that each time you make an Attack Roll you "hit" someone, so with a Sweep you can hit multiple times (since you make multiple Attack Rolls). With Autofire used against multiple targets, the same applies; with Autofire against a single target, you can only hit once because you only make one Attack Roll. If the attack is one that can affect multiple targets with a single Attack Roll (e.g., an Area Of Effect attack), then I would rule you can only apply the Triggered attack to one of those targets, not each of them. But your GM may want to rule differently on any of these points.

Of course, unless the Trigger activates as an Action that takes no time and resets automatically, all this multiple Attack Roll stuff is irrelevant anyway.