Strike: must follow block

Dr Divago

A question about Martial Arts:

Tai Ch'i Ch'uan's strike say "STR+2d6, Must Follow Block"

this mean:

1) i must declare Block (or abort to block); then i must block succesfully, then, in the same segment (or in next segment if aborted to block) i can use strike

2) i must declare Block (or abort to block); then i must block succesfully, then, in the next segment (or in second next segment if aborted to block) i can use strike

3) i must declare Strike, then i must wait for an incoming attack to use block, then i may use strike...

4) some other combination...

thank you very much

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Strike: must follow block

It's a counterattack, Doctor.

The reason is because Tai Chi Chu'an is a defensive martial art, and that sort of maneuver is representative of the system. ;)

It's a counterattack, Doctor.

The reason is because Tai Chi Chu'an is a defensive martial art, and that sort of maneuver is representative of the system. ;)

So correct answer is

1) i must declare Block (or abort to block); then i must block succesfully, then, in the same segment (or in next segment if aborted to block) i can use strike
??

Guest Black Lotus

So correct answer is

Yes, correct; anytime you Block and the Block succeeds, you may use the Tai Chi Strike in EDIT: your next Phase.

Guest Black Lotus

Yeah, if there's any sourcebook I'd recommend that every HEROphile needs -- aside from FREd, of course -- it's UMA.

The new Combat Handbook (sp?) may supercede UMA as the most vital sourcebook, though... we shall see. :)

No, #1 isn't right. the closest to the correct answer is #2, but that's not really right, either.

Assume you're speed 5.

Someone attacks you in segment 3. You Block. It dosn't matter if you abort or not. In segmet 5, THEN you can use your following strike manuver. (Because you blocked, you're oppenent has to wait until your action and let you attack first before reacting, as well. They can abort to block, though . . .)

That's why the stats on that manuver are so good . . . you can only use it in limited circumstances. You _don't_ get a 'free' attack in a segment you block in. Or after. Or at all. And you HAVE to block the phase before you use it.

What I'm not sure of if you must _successfully_ block or not. I would say so, but after one embarassing incident where I assumed UMA would make sense, (passing strike) I'm not going to assume it does so without evidence. :)

Aborting still uses your next phase. So if you abort to block in phase two, you can't use the followup strike until phase 5, because you used your phase 3 action during phase 2.

---

"Now I'll show you the ultimate power humans can wield!!"

Guest Black Lotus

No, #1 isn't right. the closest to the correct answer is #2, but that's not really right, either.

Assume you're speed 5.

Someone attacks you in segment 3. You Block. It dosn't matter if you abort or not. In segmet 5, THEN you can use your following strike manuver. (Because you blocked, you're oppenent has to wait until your action and let you attack first before reacting, as well. They can abort to block, though . . .)

That's why the stats on that manuver are so good . . . you can only use it in limited circumstances. You _don't_ get a 'free' attack in a segment you block in. Or after. Or at all. And you HAVE to block the phase before you use it.

What I'm not sure of if you must _successfully_ block or not. I would say so, but after one embarassing incident where I assumed UMA would make sense, (passing strike) I'm not going to assume it does so without evidence. :)

Aborting still uses your next phase. So if you abort to block in phase two, you can't use the followup strike until phase 5, because you used your phase 3 action during phase 2.

---

"Now I'll show you the ultimate power humans can wield!!"

How is that different from #1? I may be missing something.

Step 1: Opponent attacks you; you declare you want to Block, and successfully Block the attack.

Step 2: In the next Phase of yours where you are able to take an Attack Action, you may use this Tai Chi Chu'an Strike maneuver. EDIT: As an Attack Action. Right?

Isn't that about right? What am I missing?

Step 2: In the next Phase of yours where you are able to take an Attack Action, you may use this Tai Chi Chu'an Strike maneuver. EDIT: As an Attack Action. Right?

Isn't that about right? What am I missing?

my #1 is assuming "in the next segment", not in "in the next phase you're allowed to take an Attack Action"...

sorry...

Guest Black Lotus

my #1 is assuming "in the next segment", not in "in the next phase you're allowed to take an Attack Action"...

sorry...

Oh, OK. Yeah, I didn't think it was the next Segment... but sometimes I don't distinguish the difference between Phases and Segments when reading someone else's post. Beh.

Yeah. That "Counterstrike" maneuver in the UMA is one of the best maneuvers for pts in the book.

Why? Because it gives +2OCV and +2DCV and +2D6N damage, all for only 4pts! And since its used the phase after a successful block, the character gets to act before the blocked enemy, even if the enemy has a higher Dex.

A great move when faced by multiple opponents is to spend 1 phase blocking. Block each opponent once, then on your next phase, Sweep Counterstrike. You get to attack before every enemy you blocked and because of the +2OCV bonus, you get an extra "hit" in the sweep and the +2DCV bonus makes you harder to hit if you miss anytime during the sweep!

Good stuff!

You could also make it really simple and consider this a Sweep with one Block and one Strike. In this case you could only do it with a Held Action' date=' not an Abort.[/quote']

technically that is a rules violation, except for an optional use for Two Weapon Fighting.

Of course, I'm the last one to tell people not to violate the rules, since I do that routinely, so yes, its a very viable option to allow this. I do in certain genres.

technically that is a rules violation, except for an optional use for Two Weapon Fighting.

Of course, I'm the last one to tell people not to violate the rules, since I do that routinely, so yes, its a very viable option to allow this. I do in certain genres.

I'm not sure it is technically a violation. The book specifically says different maneuvers may be combined with the GM's permission. I forget the exact example given in the book, but I believe it is something like combining a Legsweep with a Martial Disarm. I don't see that this is a lot different. Maybe you could even consider it a Multi-Power Attack and use the same attack roll for the Block and Strike, but I seem to recall there are rules explicitly stating you can't put Block in a MPA (maybe in the FAQ if not the book).