Extra Limb for Extra Action?

Dr Divago

Next question about a "freaky" cyberware: Live Wires

(conversion from CP2020's Chrome Book 3/4 to hero)

essenctially is a "semi independent" artificial tentacle-like structure, sometime called "cybersnake" that sprout out from an orifice (natural or artificially created) and has a "plug" in front;

When user send some "mental command" he sprout out from his housing and "plug" into a socket. Useful to connecting with a smart weapon, smart veichle and like.

Mechanical construction is:

Extra Limbs, Limited Manipulation (-¼), Reduced STR (STR 5 -¼), OIF (DEF 3; -½), Non Persistent (-¼),Cyberware (-½), Humanity Loss (1d6, -¾) plus Mind Link (only one ?smart? equipment at any time), No Range (-¼), Cyberware (-½), Linked (-¼)

Active Cost 15, Real Cost 6

{Humanity Loss is a side effect: gradually transform to cyberpsychotic; Cyberware is a combination of Restrainable and some other minimal limitation...}

Mind Link is normal power from "plug"

Now question is:

i say that connecting plug with smart veichle or weapon is an half phase (you must pick from your pocket the cable, connect to your plug in forehead or forearm, connect to socket in weapon/veichle...)

but live wires are designed to "fasten" this process: cybersnake sprout automatically and search for designed socket and plugging into it while your hand start veichle engine or draw weapon from holster.

So: i can state that using live wires give some "extra action"? i mean: state that live wires effect are to connect automatically at the weapon/veichle?

Or, in similar manner, state that connecting live wires is an half phase but can be combined with some other extra action like drawing a weapon from holster?

(i'm the campaign's GM, so just for speaking...)

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Extra Limb for Extra Action?

Yeah, a specific type of PSL tailored for your creation might be the solution. Half-phase actions have a lot of utility, and giving an extra half-phase action in the same Phase kind of goes "outside of time and space."

Yeah' date=' a specific type of PSL tailored for your creation might be the solution. Half-phase actions have a lot of utility, and giving an extra half-phase action in the same Phase kind of goes "outside of time and space."[/quote']Well but... i means...

i'll not give an "extra half action", only i transform "plugging" in a "zero phase" if combined with an half action...

For example:

i'll buy an attack with 6 charge, and 2 clips; changing a clip requires an half action

but i can buy the attack with 12 charge and as special effect saying "i've two clip but i'm very skilled to changing it in just few seconds". Special Effect are same, Game Effect are different

So this is the point: Live Wires is expensive, both of Point that Euros/Humanity Point; it's only justified 'cause permit to "plug" socket automatically...

Guest Black Lotus

Now question is:

i say that connecting plug with smart veichle or weapon is an half phase (you must pick from your pocket the cable, connect to your plug in forehead or forearm, connect to socket in weapon/veichle...)

but live wires are designed to "fasten" this process: cybersnake sprout automatically and search for designed socket and plugging into it while your hand start veichle engine or draw weapon from holster.

So: i can state that using live wires give some "extra action"? i mean: state that live wires effect are to connect automatically at the weapon/veichle?

Or, in similar manner, state that connecting live wires is an half phase but can be combined with some other extra action like drawing a weapon from holster?

(i'm the campaign's GM, so just for speaking...)

Ah. I don't think an Advantage or Adder exists for this sort of thing. I suggest creating an Advantage called "May 'Jack In' As a Zero Phase Action" and assigning it +1/4 ; now you just do it as a Zero Phase Action.

Oh, and English advice: "fasten" EDIT: is actually "quicken" or "speed up". Fasten means something else. ;)

'Trigger: When hand placed near cyber-socket (+1/4)' on the interface plug.

Now, this will automatically take effect, weither the character wants it to or not. It's a 0 phase action that takes a half action to reset.

If you want the character to be able to choose weither or not it works, it would be at least a +1/2 advantage. (two activation conditions: wanting it to, and hand being near socket)

Normally I don't allow 'mental command' triggers, but I do in cases like this.

---

"I'M INTERFACING!!!!!"

Guest Black Lotus

'Trigger: When hand placed near cyber-socket (+1/4)' on the interface plug.

Now, this will automatically take effect, weither the character wants it to or not. It's a 0 phase action that takes a half action to reset.

If you want the character to be able to choose weither or not it works, it would be at least a +1/2 advantage. (two activation conditions: wanting it to, and hand being near socket)

Normally I don't allow 'mental command' triggers, but I do in cases like this.

---

"I'M INTERFACING!!!!!"

I think that costs too much, though (because you DO want to have control over it, of course). I hadn't thought of doing it that way, however; good thinking.

Keep in mind, using Linked you don't have to buy the extra limbs or anything else, unless you can use the cables to do other things than jack in.

The basic chip socket seems to be based on the 10 point version of Mind link, so this'll cost less than 5 points . . .

Dr. D: You mentioned the Cybersnake. Just out of curiosity, how did you build it?

Did one of the later Chromebooks add the 'evicerate' attack that they cut in CP2020? Sarah must have been SO disapointed . . .

---

"There are things in my head you don't want to see."

Ah. I don't think an Advantage or Adder exists for this sort of thing. I suggest creating an Advantage called "May 'Jack In' As a Zero Phase Action" and assigning it +1/4 ; now you just do it as a Zero Phase Action.
mmm... thank!

Oh' date=' and English advice: "fasten" EDIT: is actually "quicken" or "speed up". Fasten means something else. ;)[/quote'] >_<

:hush: you're right...

Keep in mind, using Linked you don't have to buy the extra limbs or anything else, unless you can use the cables to do other things than jack in.

The basic chip socket seems to be based on the 10 point version of Mind link, so this'll cost less than 5 points...

Yes, Basic plug are build with Mind Link (10/4 point); this version will cost 15/6 point 'cause is a plug plus cybersnake body :cool:

Dr. D: You mentioned the Cybersnake. Just out of curiosity' date=' how did you build it?[/quote']Extra Limbs, Limited Manipulation (-¼), Reduced STR (STR 8 -¼), OIF (DEF 3; -½), Non Persistent (-¼), Illegal Cyberware (-½), Humanity Loss 2d6 (-1¾) plus HKA ½d6 (1d6 w/STR), No END (+½); Illegal Cyberware (-½), Linked (-½), OIF (-½) 20/5 point cost

I've refused idea that cybersnake attack are independent, cause i liked "tentacle like" idea

To build up as an independent weapon i suggest to build up like a "summon cybersnake" and give statistics to it. But i like tentacle like extra arm

Did one of the later Chromebooks add the 'evicerate' attack that they cut in CP2020? Sarah must have been SO disapointed...
Nope. I known "eviscerate attack" from Hardwired but in CP2020 are'nt...

Even Tracy, my Cp2020's PC, are disappointed: Cybersnake saved her ass few time... :)

Well, the only person who actually got Evicerated was that transexual orbital executive, who was about half Sarah's size. She could have just twisted her head off, but that wouldn't have had had the wierd freuidian angle.

So maybe it's just a special effect.

---

Did you know Walter Jon Willaims, who wrote the novel Hardwired, (the supplement, too) was one one of the original playtesters of CP2013?

Actually, did that ever come out in Italian? :)

Guest Black Lotus

ROFL... forgive me, Ura-Maru, it's just that a native Italian knows how to spell "eviscerate" correctly, and you don't. :snicker:

Well but... i means...

i'll not give an "extra half action", only i transform "plugging" in a "zero phase" if combined with an half action...

For example:

i'll buy an attack with 6 charge, and 2 clips; changing a clip requires an half action

but i can buy the attack with 12 charge and as special effect saying "i've two clip but i'm very skilled to changing it in just few seconds". Special Effect are same, Game Effect are different

So this is the point: Live Wires is expensive, both of Point that Euros/Humanity Point; it's only justified 'cause permit to "plug" socket automatically...

Use quickdraw and break fall, skills as example, like "quick jack" etc. and have those skills only available to people with cyber snakes

The basic chip socket seems to be based on the 10 point version of Mind link, so this'll cost less than 5 points . . .

Dr. D: You mentioned the Cybersnake. Just out of curiosity, how did you build it?

Did one of the later Chromebooks add the 'evicerate' attack that they cut in CP2020? Sarah must have been SO disapointed . . .

---

"There are things in my head you don't want to see."

You had to remind me of my favorite "Cyberpunk" novel "Hardwired"

But the cybersnake ooged me out SERIOUSLY! Imagine re-storing it after an attack!

So maybe it's just a special effect.
Maybe.

Did you know Walter Jon Willaims' date=' who wrote the novel Hardwired, (the supplement, too) was one one of the original playtesters of CP2013?[/quote']Yes i know

Actually' date=' did that ever come out in Italian? :)[/quote']

I've never read Hardwired... ;)

but CP2013 supplement "Hardwired" was my first english book... and 'cause i was younger (about 13 years ago...) and my english was very very poor, i've misunderstood a big part of manual (until recently when i've discovered some thinks about... like that is a novel aside from standard CP2020, that is a different setting and that is for CP2013...)

Having a character normally take a Half Phase sounds like a good common sense ruling. It is probably something you could consider as either the use of a Skill (possibly an, "Everyman Skill," requiring no roll), or as a Limitation on the normal version of the Power.

Mind Scan requires no attack roll and thus (I believe) can normally be activated as a Zero-Phase Action. Therefore, I believe the Power as written wouldn't require a Half Phase. You might consider a minor version of Extra Time for other Powers built using Mind Link that do require more than a Zero-Phase Action.

NOTE: the No Range Limitation and Linked on the Mind Link acting through the Extra Limbs would naturally allow the character to use both/all other limbs for other activities--such as driving, pulling weapons, etc.

You might consider a minor version of Extra Time for other Powers built using Mind Link that do require more than a Zero-Phase Action.
MMmhhh

something like "Extra Time (Half Actions, -0)"?

NOTE: the No Range Limitation and Linked on the Mind Link acting through the Extra Limbs would naturally allow the character to use both/all other limbs for other activities--such as driving' date=' pulling weapons, etc.[/quote']Of course...

something like "Extra Time (Half Actions' date=' -0)"?[/quote']

I actually consider it a -1/4. You could possibly argue that it is a full -1/2 since this level changes a Power--such as an attack--that normally takes a Half Phase to one that takes a Full Phase (for a difference of a non-attack Half Phase). Thus a Zero-Phase to Half Phase could be considered a -1/2 worth of difference as well, but I think -1/4 is more balanced.