Partially Limited DEX and SPD

Steve

Question

From the FAQ:

Q: If a character ends up with a fractional remainder for SPD (for example, he has DEX 24, yielding a SPD of 3.4, and chooses not to buy it up to 4), may he sell back the fractional remainder?

*NEW*(SUPPLEMENTED)A: No, not even if he sells his SPD all the way back to the next lowest number (e.g., to SPD 2 from SPD 3.4). The character you describe doesn’t have a “SPD 3.4†— he has SPD 3, and thus nothing to sell back. A “fractional result†for SPD only comes into play, and only benefits the character, if he chooses to buy his SPD up to the next whole number.

Your reply to my earlier question on Partially Limited Characteristics makes an exception for SPD as the only figured characteristic that doesn't receive points derived from a primary characteristic, taking away the benefit mentioned in the FAQ quote above. Based on that reply, I can see two ways under 5th Edition to do such an increase for OIHID or through a Focus. This assumes a 10 DEX/2 SPD base character.

1) Buy +9 points of DEX OIHID (27 Active, 22 Real), and +1 SPD (10 Active, 8 Real). Total cost: 30.

2) Buy +9 points of DEX OIHID and No Figured Characteristics as an added (perhaps mandatory?) limitation (27 Active, 15 Real), and +1 SPD (10 Active, 8 Real). Total cost: 23

If I just bought the DEX and SPD straight up, I would only be paying 28 points, less than I would through a "limited" power construct under method #1. This seems an odd exception to HERO's method for dealing with limited characteristics. Is there a reason why SPD is the exception to the general way of doing things? It's also a bit harsh on the Captain Marvel and Iron Man clones, since SPD is the most expensive figured characteristic to raise a point. If method #2 is allowable, it would soften the blow at least and give a point cost similar to what it would if DEX reduced the cost of that first added point of SPD.

1 answer to this question