The NPC Thread

fredrik_nilsson

Re: The NPC Thread

I think it's a very nice idea. One question' date=' though...if it's going to be for a variety of genres, should the thread be put in the "Other Genres" forum? Or would it not get enough exposure there?[/quote']

I guess you're right. "Other Genres" forum might have been a better choice. Can someone please move the thread?

When I looked at the GURPS forum today I saw something interesting. Some guy had started a thread where he posted generic NPCs from different genres. I would be fun if we could do something similar. Are you interested?

For those interested, what do you think of posting the NPCs in the writer's guidelines brief format?

I thought the title said the NGD Thread and I wondered what we were complaining (um discussing) now! Oops!

When I looked at the GURPS forum today I saw something interesting. Some guy had started a thread where he posted generic NPCs from different genres. I would be fun if we could do something similar. Are you interested?

For those interested, what do you think of posting the NPCs in the writer's guidelines brief format?

I am all for it, sounds great;)

I think it's a very nice idea. One question' date=' though...if it's going to be for a variety of genres, should the thread be put in the "Other Genres" forum? Or would it not get enough exposure there?[/quote']I think this is a very nice idea... but why "other genres"?

we can post Champion's NPC in Champions, Fantasy NPC in Fantasy, and like...

(\ /)

(O.o)

(> <)

Solomon's ASCII bunny ate my .jpg sign!

Yeah!

Let the Bunny conquer the World!!!

(indeed:

«Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes!/

They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses!/

And what's with all the carrots?/

What do they need such good eyesight for anyway? [...]» :cool::P)

I think this is a very nice idea... but why "other genres"?

we can post Champion's NPC in Champions, Fantasy NPC in Fantasy, and like...

"Hero System Discussion" is mainly for how-to / how-to-build / how-do-I-do-this discussion. That's why various genres like Champions (super hero), Star Hero (science fiction) Pulp Hero and so on have their own forums.

If the NPCs could be for ANY genre, then "Other Genres" is the best fit, because it doesn't fit any ONE genre.

That was my thought, anyway. :)

Other Genre sounds like a good home for this thread. Here is one I did this evening.

[b]Ami/Amy Ameku - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
8     STR     -2   8      11-       HTH Damage 1 1/2d6  END [1]
12    DEX     6   12      11-       OCV 4 DCV 4
13    CON     6   13      12-
8     BODY    -4   8      11-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
10    EGO     0   10      11-       ECV: 3
10/20 PRE     0   20      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
12    COM     1   12      11-

2     PD      0   2             2 PD (0 rPD)
3     ED      0   3             3 ED (0 rED)
2     SPD     0   2                 Phases:  6, 12
5     REC     0   5
26    END     0   26
20    STUN    1   20
6     RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2     SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
2     LEAP     0   1 1/2"                1 1/2" forward, 0 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 11[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
5     +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only when one or all of her students are in danger (-1) - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 5[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      KS: Ballet 11-
2      KS: Classical Music 11-
3      Language:  Japanese or English (completely fluent)
2      PS: Teaching 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 9[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Psychological Limitation:  Dedicated Teacher (Common, Strong)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Curiousity (Common, Moderate)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 25[/b]

Base Pts: 0
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 25

Height: 1.67 m Hair: Brown

Weight: 52.00 kg Eyes: Brown

Appearance: She is a slender young woman with shoulder length hair of Japanese descent. Age 22

Personality: Ami is a bright and cheerful young who has yet to lose her youthful energy and optimism. Besides being a teacher, she is also an eager student herself, always interested in the world around her.

Quote: Today we are going to learn about the ancient Romans.

Background: Ami grew up being pampered by her parents and was given the best schools money could buy. This was all in hope of her having a great career in law or medicine. But Ami wanted to be something else, she wanted to teach and inspire kids like Mrs. Ito did for her. Mrs. Ito opened the world of learning for Ami and this was a gift so great that Ami could only think of one way to repay it. So much to her parent's chagrin, Ami went into teaching. Here she feels that she can make a real difference in the world. She also realized that not everybody has the type of money to send their kids to the type of school she went to, and so she has decided to teach in public school.

Powers/Tactics: Not Applicable

Campaign Use: Beside the obvious of her being a romantic interest of a PC or a relative, there are a couple of other things that can bring her into a scenario. The first is if one of her students is in danger, Ami will risk life or limb in an attempt to rescue them and thus bringing her into harm ways. Another might be in school hostage situation where she would be willing to help the PCs save her students in any way she can.

"Hero System Discussion" is mainly for how-to / how-to-build / how-do-I-do-this discussion. That's why various genres like Champions (super hero), Star Hero (science fiction) Pulp Hero and so on have their own forums.

If the NPCs could be for ANY genre, then "Other Genres" is the best fit, because it doesn't fit any ONE genre.

That was my thought, anyway. :)

I should have thought of that too when I started the thread.

Moved :D

Thanks! :thumbup:

.hdc file also...

Excellent work! I think it's a great idea that you've added the HD-file.

• 1 year later...

[b]ARAKAWA Hisashi - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
11    STR     1   11      11-       HTH Damage 2d6  END [2]
13    DEX     9   13      12-       OCV 4 DCV 4
13    CON     6   13      12-
11    BODY    2   11      11-
12    INT     2   12      11-       PER Roll 11-
12    EGO     4   12      11-       ECV: 4
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
3    PD      1   3             3 PD (0 rPD)
3    ED      0   3             3 ED (0 rED)
3    SPD     7   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
5    REC     0   5
26    END     0   26
24    STUN    0   24
6    RUN     0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM    0   2"                END [1]
2    LEAP    0   2"                2" forward, 1" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 38[/b]

2      +1 with Shinai
2      AK: Tokyo 11-
2      CK: Tokyo 11-
1      Combat Driving 8-
3      Gambling 11-
2      KS: Kendo 11-
2      KS: Underworld 11-
2      KS: Yakuza Legends 11-
4      PS: Organizer 13-
3      Persuasion 12-
3      Streetwise 12-
3      WF:  Small Arms, Blades

[b]SKILLS Cost: 29[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
25      Followers (subordinate kobun)
2      Fringe Benefit: Kumi-cho:  Membership
2      Reputation:  As a Yakuza locally (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6
1      Reputation:  Within his Gumi (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6
3      Money:  Well Off

[b]PERKS Cost: 33[/b]

10     DNPC:  Hitomi (12 year daughter) 8- (Normal)
15     Distinctive Features:  Elaborate Tatoo (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Believes in the Romanticized Idea of the Yakuza (Common, Strong)
10     Watched:  Oyabun 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 50[/b]

Base Pts: 50
Total Character Cost: 100

Arakawa’s father was never home. He was too busy making a living for his family. While this meant that the family had everything they could want, it also meant that Arakawa hardly knew his father. So as the boy grew into a young man, he went searching for the thing that could give him that relationship. He found it in the bosozuku.

Here was a place that Arakawa found what he was looking for. A sense of belonging and a person to guide him in the form of the gang’s leader were just the things Arakawa needed. It was here that his natural talents began to shine. He showed an expert touch on organizing rallies and other aspects of the gang. These talents would get him notice by the gang’s yakuza’s connection and before long Arakawa had become a member of the local syndicate. He quickly made a name for himself as a loyal member to gumi (syndicate) and was soon put in charge of his own group of men. Other members of gumi had little problems with this, for while Arakawa was young it was said he had an old soul.

It was during this time, that he met and fell in love with a bar hostess. Soon Arakawa had a daughter named Hitomi and he vowed not to let her grow up not knowing her father. To this end he has swung 180 from his father’s way. Arakawa makes time out of his busy schedule to attend dance recitals and school functions. While this was great when his Hitomi was younger, now the young girl about to enter her teens wants to distance herself from her father and especially his business. To this end, she is working hard to get accepted to a private school in Kobe or anywhere else her father’s ties are unknown.

Currently Arakawa’s successes have brought him much fame in the gumi and there is a fair chance he will be soon promoted. Of course this would mean that he will have more work and less time to spend with his daughter…

Arakawa is a man who believes in loyalty and the ideas of yakuza. He is loyal to his oyabun (godfather), his country and his daughter. While he is a soft spoken fellow, he easily can intimidate when he has too. On the whole he much rather work behind the scene and let his underlings take care of the more brutal work. Also as a true patriot, he has little regard for foreigners and tends to be wary of them.

Quote: “I have a recital to get to and I don’t like to be late. So now do you have the money…?”

Tactics: As noted Arakawa is a man that does not like to get his hand’s dirty doing the more brutal aspects of his business. This does not mean he is no push over. He works out a kendo club and is capable with a gun. His main tactics when dealing with a group would be to isolate their members and deal with them one at a time. If being used in a Super campaign, Arakawa would not foolishly throw his men against a super powered individual but instead will get himself some equal muscle.

Campaign Use: Little Girl Lost: Fearing that rival members in the gumi has arranged for the disappearance of his daughter, Arakawa needs an outside force to help him get her back home safely. In reality, Hitomi is hiding out at a friend’s house in hope that she will teach her father a lesson and push him to send her elsewhere in Japan.

Too Good for his own Good: A scheming gumi member close to the oyabun’s ear fears that the oyabun will pick Arakawa to succeed as the leader of the gumi. To this ends he has begun to spread lies and fears to oyabun and that Arakawa needs to be removed as quick as possible. This has put Arakawa into a delicate position and if this is to be resolved with little bloodshed as possible, Arakawa is going to have to find some outside help.

Appearence: A soft spoken man in his late 30’s, Arakawa is still quite fit and shows no sign of a middle-age figure. He still has a full head of hair. He wears top quality suits and wears them well after all he is not only representing himself but the whole of the gumi.

• 1 year later...

[b]TANAKA Austa - [/b]

8     STR     -2   8      11-       HTH Damage 1 1/2d6  END [2]
12    DEX     6   12      11-       OCV 4 DCV 4
12    CON     4   12      11-
8     BODY    -4   8      11-
12    INT     2   12      11-       PER Roll 11-
11    EGO     2   11      11-       ECV: 4
12    PRE     2   12      11-       PRE Attack: 2d6
16    COM     1   16      12-
3     PD      1   3             3 PD (0 rPD)
2     ED      0   2             2 ED (0 rED)
3     SPD     8   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
4     REC     0   4
24    END     0   24
23    STUN    5   23
7     RUN      2   7"                END [1]
2     SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4     LEAP     2   3 1/2"                3 1/2" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 29[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
2     [b][i]Bishonen Looks[/i][/b]: +4 COM - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 2[/b]

4      AK: Tokyo Co-Ed and Girl Schools 13-
3      Acting 11-
3      Bribery 11-
3      Bugging 11-
3      Climbing 11-
2      Computer Programming (Web Design) 11-
3      Concealment 11-
3      Disguise 11-
2      KS: Photography 11-
6      KS: Tokyo Girls School Uniforms 14-
1      Lockpicking 8-
2      PS: Photography 11-
3      Persuasion 11-
3      Seduction 11-
3      Shadowing 11-
3      Stealth 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 47[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Money:  Well Off
6      Contact:  FUGII Hiroyuki (Camera Shop Owner) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) 13-
5      Contact:  KOTOBUKI Ryuji (Buru-Sera Shop Owner) (Contact has useful Skills or resources) 13-

[b]PERKS Cost: 12[/b]

0     Normal Characteristic Maxima No Age Restriction
10     Dependent NPC:  Older Sister: Asuka 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Attracted to High School Girls (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Loyal to Friends (Common, Strong)
5     Social Limitation:  Teen-ager (Occasionally, Minor)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 45[/b]

Base Pts: 90
Total Character Cost: 90

Description: A slim young man with a soft voice and a bishonen appearance. He wears his hair a little on the long side.

Vital Details: Height: 168cm Weight: 54.5kg Age: 16 Birthday: August 5 Blood Type: A+

Background: Maybe it was because of his hanging out with his sister and her friends when he was younger or maybe it is a way to overcome his own slightly feminine appearance and prove that he is a healthy male, but Asuta is obsessed over High school girls and their uniforms. His obsession has fueled him into creating a web-page detailing Tokyo's school uniforms. He knows them all including gym clothes and swim wear. He will go to great lengths to get pictures and details about the uniform even going under cover a couple of times as a girl to get where he needs to be. He has actually become quite good at getting this that it is scary. Luckily he has no single girl he obsesses over. His web page only holds a fraction of the girls he has photographed (with their faces either blurred or black barred). He has own stash of pictures that he considers his treasure. He has the making of a great camera man or detective if he can grow up and lose his obsession.

Campaign Uses: The most obvious is that he is a great source of information for tracking down a girl when all you have to go on is her school uniform. But other possibilities exist from his sister in trouble and he approaching the PC to help to him catching something in a photograph like Yakuza activities.

Tactics: Asuta is not a fighter. He is great at stealth work but will avoid fights unless his back up against a wall.

Quote: “Hmm I do believe the uniform you are describing belongs to either North High School or its Junior High. It really depends on the colors.”